How does your child tell you they need to go to the bathroom? And what do you do or say when they have an accident in their underwear?

Most of the time my son 2.5 will just say pee pee or poo poo and then I take him to the bathroom, sit him on the toilet and he always says "GO" and points to the door LOL So i either peek around the corner or check on him every 30 seconds to a minute depending on what I am doing. And I am asking for advice on the other part...what do you do or say and what has worked for you.

lendales_mommi

Asked by lendales_mommi at 2:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• she was PT at 18mo.. She would say Potty or Peepee/Poopoo....
    I did the 3 day potty method & after the first day she "got it" ... and she would get upset/ embarrassed if she made an accident so actually instead of her getting into trouble we have to let her know accidents happens & its OK ... Accidents happen! She is 3.5 & its very rare she has an accident..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• they just say they need to pee or poop.
    And they had accidents i said "uh oh. oh well, let's clean it up" and they did most of the cleaning up process on their own as a part of the toilet learning lesson.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I tried to be encouraging with positive results and neutral with negative.Meaning that when my DD actually went on the potty we'd cheer and make a big deal about it.Whenever accidents happened,I was careful NOT to say anything.I let her stay wet for exactly 3 min and then she helped me clean up.Regarding "potty announcements" I have to say she never told me she wanted to go,at least during the first 7-10 days of training.I reminded her every 20min and we went,even if she didn't always need to.Now that she's potty trained she tells me herself,but I still remind her often because children tend to forget when their busy playing.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 4:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010