how to cut herbs for use in the kitchen?

I need ideas, DH bought me this amazing herb garden, it is HUGE, takes up a whole end table on the patio. It has Oregano, Thyme, and 4 types of Basil. I need to know the best way to cut the herbs and store them for use in the kitchen. I want to use them fresh as much as possible but I will never use all of what is out there this summer. I have offered some to friends and want to package it properly when i give it away. Also can i freeze any of these? or is drying the best option?

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can freeze them, but drying is the best option. With the basil, just cut the leaves off the stem and let them dry out on a paper towel. Oregano and Thyme - pinch off a bit off the stem with leaves and dry also on a paper towel. I do this every summer for my herbs that finally die after the first hard frost and have herbs all year. Just store the dried herbs in a labeled ziplock bag.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• this link might help http://www.wikihow.com/Preserve-Herbs
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I personally dry them for friends and family and if you bring the entire thing inside then you can still use them fresh all winter. I have never tried freezing, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would also bring them inside and put them near a window. For giving away I just cut the amount to give then fold it in a moist paper towel, then place inside a ziplock bag. This way they can still use them while they are fresh. Personally I prefer fresh to dried in most types of herbs.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010