Spending too much time???

Okay, I have read post after post. Blog after blog about how moms and dads don't spend ENOUGH time with their children. I can understand that.

However, is it possible to spend TOO MUCH time with your children?
I am with my children 24/7, 365. The last time I had more than 4 hours to myself was over 3 years ago. I don't even sleep in my room alone.
Lately I have been having trouble sleeping. The idea of getting up in the morning to deal with them makes me physically ill. When I get this way I cry because I LOVE my kiddies, why do I feel the way I do?

I asked a friend and she said its because I have been spending TOO MUCH time with my children. Not enough ME time. No real adult interaction.

Can you really spend too much time with your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes it is definitly possible.and it sounds like you are in great need of a much deserved break.taking a break does not mean you love you kids any less.as matter of fact it would benifit them even more! because you would be rested and ready to tend to them better than if you are tired and just worn out.,
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont think you can spend TOO much time with your children, i think you may just not have enough YOU time.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes you can spend too much time with your children. It's called smuthering. Sometimes it's okay to let them do their own thing. You just gotta maintain some balance between spending time with them and spending time on your own.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I totally agree with MomNbabyGirl009. You need to take some time for you. As mothers we tend to feel guilty for taking time for ourselves but I think that we all need to in order to be happy with ourselves and in turn make us better parents. Its basically like a time out but for you.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think there is such thing as spending too much time with your kids. They need to learn to be independent. Constant interaction isn't helping them achieve that. There are only so many hours in the day - if you're not capable of spending too much time with them, where exactly are you supposed to carve out some you time? You didn't mention how old they are, but I would begin by getting them out of your bedroom so you can at least do your own thing before sleeping. Kids know when we're stressed out even if they're not able to say that's what they're sensing. A more relaxed mama would be a good thing for them, and managing that by spending less time sounds like it would benefit everyone.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Absolutely! Do you have a friend, neighbor or relative you can trade child care with?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, you can not spend too much time with your children.

YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 4:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. Try to make some time a day for yourself. GL
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You do need to take some time for yourself. Spending that much time with your kids isn't good for you, a happy mommy is better for everyone!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• make time for yourself I think you can spend a lil to much time with your kids you need a break once in awhile :)
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010