R.N./Stay at home mom concerned about reentering the workforce after 5 years. What should I put on my resume?

momD123

Asked by momD123 at 4:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband hires people all the time. He got a resume from a SAHM and that's what she put in her work history. That she was a SAHM and her duties were educating her children, budgeting etc. He says she is one of the best employees he has:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree totally .It may not be a "JOB" but it deffinetly is hard work.dedication and experience so yes I would.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 4:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Most employers (at least the kind we'd want to work for) understand the SAHM so be honest. However, don't forget the work you did before that time, your education, and any volunteer work you've done before and during being a SAHM, including if you've organized a Mom's group, etc. Also include any computer skills you have and programs you're proficient in so they know you've kept up; for example, Word, Excel, etc.

Good luck,
    Pat
    Amigram.com Life’s Happy Announcements
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 7:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There is such a great need for RN's, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a job. Having children demostrates your ability to do it all. Good luck.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Remember, stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value: time management, logistics, budgeting, etc. You probably also did some volunteer work, and kept up with your continuing education.

I would leave this time off of your resume, and put a brief explanation in your cover letter.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms, include it in your cover letter. Just add something about entering the workforce after having children. Most people will ask about the time gap in an interview anyway. If you have done anythign related to RN since you haev worked, put that on your resume. For example, if you attended any trainings, conferences, workshops, etc. then I would put that one there. Or if you have continued to read the latest literature and research, then mention that in your cover letter.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My concern with leaving it off your resume is that now you have a huge gap there from the time to left your last job and now. What happens if somehow your cover letter was seperated from your resume? Then it looks like you haven't done anything during that time. Also, a lot of employers use special computer software that scans resumes for keywords. You might be at a disadvantage there if you leave your SAHM work off.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• THANK YOU!!!! I will use every bit of advice that was given. Thanks also for all of the positive energy. I'll post the out come soon!!

MomD123
    momD123

Comment by momD123 (original poster) at 5:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2010