Am I jealous?

My dad alone bought our neighbors cabin out at the lake. I have two sisters and then my dad married my step-mom so we have a step-sister and a step-brother. He bought this cabin because his is really small and there was never enough room for all of us, like on the 4th of July. So this is the guest cabin. I live about 6 hours away and only make it up there about twice a summer. Anyways, my step-brothers wife decided to become CEO of the cabin. She has decorated it, laid down rules and we all have to follow them. I don't necessarily disagree with the rules, but shouldn't we all have a say as to what we can or can't do there! She called me tonight explaining the rules to me! Ummm...this is MY DAD's cabin! Not my step-moms, my step-brothers and definitely not hers. Yes, we all share it, but really? Why my dad is letting this go on is beyond my comprehension. So am I jealous that she get's to be CEO or whatever?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 4:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• it doesn't sound like jealousy really to me. Maybe there's a hint of it because she gets to hang out all summer in a cabin in the woods with you family... but honestly, that is really annoying what she is doing. Even if she were your full blooded sister and not the step brother's wife... it would still be annoying.

Just try to keep in mind that while it's aggrevating, it's not a felony and try not to make too much of a big deal over it. You don't YOUR vacation ruined because SHE is letting this cabin boss business go to her head! Just laugh it off as best you can.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• So don't follow them. What is she going to do do about it? She has no power over you. Shes' assumed authority but that doesn't make it real authority. I'd tell her to go take a hike.
    mamapaparazzi

Answer by mamapaparazzi at 4:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• They're married, its THEIR cabin isn't it?

I'd just say ok... and smile

I'm sorry, it does sound like a jealousy thing.. no maybe not jealousy... like there is an underlying problem... have you had problems with her in the past? or is it because its a step mom?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• ohhhhh ha
    i see i read it wrong. Id still just smile.. say... K... and take it with a grain of salt.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd ask your dad about it. I'm having trouble understanding why adults need rules in the first place. It makes sense to let others know when you intend to use the cabin so as to avoid any drama from that, but otherwise it sounds like she needs to back off. As far as her decorating goes, I'm not seeing the problem. Did she pay for the decorating herself?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Some people are more controlling than others. It is just in their nature. I'd personally tell her how I feel. That is just me though. If you did that you run the risk of creating friction. But to me I have learned tht with people like that if you don't speak up they just keep doing it all the time because they can.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If it were me, since it is your Dad's cabin, I would call my Dad directly, and just say, "Hey Daddy, I was wanting to go up to the cabin on such and such date, but so and so said we had to call way ahead and get it cleared. I am really confused, do I really need to book a room in YOUR cabin? Or is it okay if we just go when we want like we always have?"
    Since it is your Dad's cabin, then you get it directly from him. If the step-brothers wife says anything, look at her, smile sweetly and say, "Well, after our conversation when you told me I should call my Dad to "book" my room, I did, and I have an open invitation from him."
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No it's not my step-mom, but my dad and her have their money completely seperate as they were both burned in their previous divorce so it's' really not hers either.
    But the CEO is my step-brother's wife! They haven't even been married that long and the bitch just came outta nowhere and started calling the shots!
    Maybe I am jealous, but I'm not sure of what! I guess, it just bothers me because she has already booked like half the summer up there too! Before we could stay whenever we wanted now we have to book our stays like a fuckin' hotel.
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 4:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• When I talked to her she also reminded me I needed to book well in advance as the cabin gets booked up quick! Really? i asked her who the receptionist is and who do I call to book as a joke, and she said "your dad will take care of that"
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 4:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks! That's easier said than done, though...I will have to drink all weekend! Yes I will drink heavily:)
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 4:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010