My milk supply is low now pls help.. Any advice??

My bby is a month old now and im only getting 3 to 4ozs each pump time sometimes only 2. I get like 2 to 3 bottles a day bc thats all i can get out. When he was a wk and 2wks i had more milk than i knew what to do with but now i dont and im having to give half formula:( I had to give him half formula when i was trying breast feed to i ruined that bc now he wont latch:(ughhhh so sad. But i do love pumping regardless of how much i get out im gona keep pumping bc he still getting the benifits i just wish i had more milk so i didnt have use formula. Any ideas on what i can do to bring my milk in??? Im taking prenatals and reglan the doc precribed for it but so far no results:(((

nicole341

Asked by nicole341 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I really apprecitae any answers and advice you can give me and your exspirences with this prob if you dont mind:)
    nicole341

Comment by nicole341 (original poster) at 4:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughter didn't latch for 5 days!!!! i felt so horrible and sad i almost wanted to quit... but i didnt!
    Keep trying to latch him. its new to him as well. hell get it....
    if he can latch.... NURSE NURSE NURSE and NURSE some more!!! its supply and demand... the more you nurse the more milk your body will make

pumping does it to, but not like physically nursing.... if you need advice you can messag me! also check out your local le leche league!!

good book is "BESTfeeding"
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Make sure you drink lots of water....eating fatty snacks like avocado and nuts can also help. Try the herbal supplement called "more milk plus"...it comes in pill or tincture form but I would recommend the pill (tinctures taste awful!) You can find it at a health food store or online. Also try "power pumping"....for one hour each day, pump for 10 minutes, take a 10 minute break and pump for 10 minutes again and repeat until the hour is over.

Also, make sure you are pumping at night- that alone can make a huge difference.

It's probably not what's causing the problem but sometimes if your pump is defective, you will not pump as much, eventually causing a decrease in supply. Check all your pump parts to make sure none of them are worn out.

You could even try renting a hospital grade pump for a little while and see if that makes a difference...I'm assuming you have a good double electric pump, and if not, you need to get one.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• (con't)

An old pump could not be as efficient as well- the motor eventually starts to wear down.

Along with the power pumping, try increasing how often you pump. Pump every 1 1/2-3 hours for a while and that may help. Milk supply is based on demand.

Evaluate how much your son is eating and how much he actually needs. Between 1-6 months, the average baby only needs 25 ounces of breast milk per day, or anywhere from 19-30 ounces. Check out this link for more: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Also, try a nipple shield to get him to latch. The best thing you can do for your milk supply is nurse as often as possible. Your supply will respond much better to him than a pump. It will be frustrating, but with enough time, effort and crying I'm sure you can get him to latch. See a LC or LLL leader for help with this.

I'm sorry you're having problems and with you the best. I've been there. My preemie was in the
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• (con't)

hospital for 16 weeks so I was exclusively pumping. He came home mostly on bottles (of breastmilk) and using a shield to nurse. That was 11 weeks ago and we're now off bottles and the shield!

Good luck!

Oh, and Reglan can take anywhere from 4 days to a month to start working. I took domperidone, a drug that's primary use is for the same thing Reglan is used for. It's not FDA approved and has to be compounded (only select pharmacies do that) and is expensive (still cheaper than the long-term cost of formula!) but has less side effects (none generally) and I had miraculous results with it.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• First try to get that baby re latched. Then I will tell you that your abundant supply you had at first is VERY normal and usually drops off around 4-6 weeks. Exclusively pumping and not actually putting baby to breast is extremely difficult, but there are things you can do to increase supply. Try power pumping for a few days. You pump for 15 minutes whether milk is coming out or not and then wait an hour and do it again. You can also just continue to pump after the milk has stopped coming out for a few minutes each time you pump. This is the supply and demand thing. If all you are demanding is what you get then that is what your body will make. If you continue to pump for a little after the milk flow stops that is like the baby signaling the body it needs more milk. There are a few groups on here that can give more extensive advice too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You need to be pumping every 2 hours, around the clock. Also see if there's an IBCLC in your area(or two or three) and go in and see if they can help you get the baby to latch on. My DD was over 9 weeks old when she finally latched on. If you can get baby to latch on at ALL, keep him at the breast as much as possible. Use an SNS to get the pumped milk/artificial baby milk to him. You can do this!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well the amounts you seem to be pumping are not all that bad actually. I think the issue is you aren't pumping enough and may be giving too big bottles. BM is NOT like formula. YOur baby needs smaller amounts more often because its digested fast. SO 1-1.25 oz an hour..if baby is hungry every 2 hours give 2-2.5 oz bottle...see how that works.

See a LC about getting baby back to the breast or read up on kellymom in the trouble section. BUT for now pump every 2 hours daytime and 3-4 hours nighttime. DO NOT skip a feeding. Make sure you have a quality pump too, medela, ameda or lansinoh brands. Massage and compress the breast while puming. Eat oatmeal alot, drink loads of water and relax as much as you can.

3-4 oz could be 1-2 bottles worth so if you can get that every 2-3 hours daytime he is getting plenty of milk. I don't see where the issue is really. You can d o this for sure...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Cont.

What made you start supplimenting in the first place? Diaper counts are what you need to count to know if youa re making enough milk, NOT how baby acts. 6-8 wet or messy total in a day is what is needed.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010