Eating Healthier

Ok so i want my family and i to be healthier. I do not keep soda in the house and i try not to keep junk food in the house but it is hard i am a sucker for Sunflower seeds and beef jerky. I keep a stock of apples and banana's in the house and i stoped all frying and i am trying to stop useing any type of pre made food like box dinners and boxed side dishes and sauces and what not. What else can i do to be healthier?

autumnsunris113

Asked by autumnsunris113 at 4:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• beef jerky actually is a good little snack for protein... keepin your energy level up! :)

i'd LOAD up on water....and yogurt, cheese, sounds like you are doing a good job though! Really!! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• bow downThank's for the tip's

autumnsunris113

Comment by autumnsunris113 (original poster) at 4:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You can also add more vegetables to more meals and fruits to all of your meals.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We eat a lot of products that are high in fiber- whole wheat high fiber torttillas, apples, applesauce ( unsweetened), Fiber One cereals...
    We also eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies- zucchini, squash, eggplant, onions, spinach, mushrooms, berries, bananas, apples, peaches..
    Lean meats- chicken, fish, turkey
    Yogurt, reduced fat cheese, low sodium products like Mrs. Dash ( I don't use salt at all)
    I also don't use oils- only nonstick cooking spray. Oh, and skim milk and reduced fat chocolate milk for restranding muscles after working out..it helps to heal the muscles faster.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think you are really doing great! sunflower seeds are really good for you, you just may want to try unsalted : )

i think adding fish is good. and you can never get too many veggies!!!
    we eat salads made with swiss chard kale and spinach. they are very good for us!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

I have a ton of recipes that are simple, tasty, healty and family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sounds like you're on track! Just keep making changes one at a time. I found that making small changes one at a time turned it into a lifestyle rather than another diet. Keep frozen veggies on hand. They're just as healthy as fresh, but last longer. Just avoid the ones with the extra sauces and season them yourself! That way, you can just add a side of veggies w/o effort. Visit your local farmer's market and buy what's in season. Try a new veggie every time you go. Try 1 new healthy recipe every week. Find stuff you LOVE and discover healthy ways of cooking them. Learn to add in splurges once in awhile, but don't bring them into the house. Go out and share a cup of ice cream, go out to eat, but share an entree. This way, you're still allowing for indulgences w/o over doing it. We say we eat well 90% of the time and allow the 10% left for whatever we desire!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd also slowly start getting organic produce....apples are good but the pesticides on the skin penetrates the fruit, same with a LOT of produce. I know some organics are expensive but look into farmers markets and ask the farmers if they are organic. There are several in my area. And local farmers in my area sell organic beef and chicken which I really like...no pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and tourchured animals. I also only buy organic milk, butter and cheese.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I should also add that I recommend the documentaries Food, Inc. and The Future of Food. The Future of Food can be seen free on Hulu.com
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It sounds like you're already doing a lot of things right. Just keep adding more variety of fruits and veggies into your diet. I'd suggest Michael Pollan's book Food Rules: it's a little book chock full of suggestions on getting back to eating real food and being healthier in the process.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2010