Embarassed to Ask but I must know Please no Bashing

My daughter is 3 and a half and has a mouth full of cavities. When we on a Vacation and she fell and chipped her 2 front teeth and we are just now being able to see her dentist because they have been booked. What will they do for her cavities and her chipped teeth. She doesn't eat sweets and we brush her teeth twice a day. Please no bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you sure its cavaties and not low enamel? The low enamel is becoming a very common problem in children, it looks like the tooth is rotting, starts out as brownish spots then progresses to black cavatiy looking then it eats away at the tooth. Most likely for the chipped tooth they will put a seal on it to prevent it from geting worse (sometimes called a temporary) if she has cavaties they may or may not fill them or they may just put a seal on the teeth since she will lose them anyhow, if its the low enamel (anything acidic even fruits destroys the teeth) they can do several things. A good dentist will deal it so it wont get worse, a crappy dentist (like the one my kids had ) will give you a paste to paint their teeth and the problem will just get worse until the tooth begins to dissolve or it falls out. I had to fly my kids to another state to be seen by my sister who is in dentistry to repair the damage.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Also ask your dentist if she is old enough to use pro enamel for kids, it is an amazing toothpaste that helps fight the acids that cause damage. When we switched to it wiith my kids it was amazing. 2 of my 3 kids have low enamel and we have had to fight to get their teeth take care of properly by the doctors. If it werent for my sister and my aunt and the dentist they work for my children would have suffered because some dentist just ignore the problem because they are just baby teeth.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son had to have a lot of cavitites filled when he was younger. I was devestated as I brushed his teeth twice a day. Since the work would be extensive, his work was actually done at a hospital where they put him under general anesthesia.

I brushed his teeth 2 times a day and I flossed them, but in the years since that, and he always seemed to have at least 1 cavitity every time we went to the dentist. Over a year ago, I switched to the Pronamel tooth paste. He has not had a cavity since.

As for what will they do about the chipped teeth, I think it depends. My one stepson chipped his teeth pretty bad and they used bonding material to fill them in.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As others have said her cavities could be a medical problem of low enamel. They will sedate her to do the dental work so she shouldn't feel any pain she should be asleep the whole time since she is so young.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If she does have cavities they will fill them after they sedate her.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sometimes children has decayed teeth from sleeping with a bottle. This happened to my youngest. Her cavities were done in one visit. They can also bond baby teeth that are chipped.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well as others have said it could be enamel issues like I and my son have. I now use Pro Enamel toothpaste on him per dentist orders. He has had to have 4 cavities filled because of it though and our dentist DID NOT sedate him. He said that the roots are so shallow that there is very little pain for the children and he prefers to just give them laughing gas as long as the cavities are not to deep. We did that twice (2 cavities filled each time) and with no Novocaine or anything else except laughing gas my son was perfectly fine. As for the chipped tooth they will likely bond it for her.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• if there are too many cavities then she will have to go to the hospital to get them filled
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my daughter had cavities, it was awful. get them taken care of quickly b/c the deeper they are, the more expensive and painful they are. I took my daughter to a childrens hospital that had a dental clinic and they knocked her out to put crowns on her teeth. my brother's son had this done too. If she lets them do things w/o freaking out then they may fill them in the office but my girl lost her mind when they wanted to look in there with a mirror. My other daughter let them fill her teeth in the chair. Then as they got older a cavity could be filled or a tooth pulled(she grew extras) until they saw the needle one day....now she's a brushin' fool!!!
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my DD have cavities in some of her baby teeth and the dentist said as long as she was not in pain, to just wait till they fall out.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010