charting

what is charting? and how do i use it?

sscuka

Asked by sscuka at 5:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• There are some great websites out there that explain all this to you. Just type in basal body temperature in a search engine and you will find the info you need. Also, your OB should have some paperwork on this as well along with the charts you need. It is a lot of work but it will help you figure out when the right time is.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Charting is taking you temperature every morning and then recording it. When you are ovulating your temp. goes up and if you get pregnant it stays up. I was charting when I got pregnant with my first and I knew that I was pregnant from the chart before I took a test. Read the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It explains everything and it is so easy to understand.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Taking your temp every morning at the same time without leaving bed and recording it is the basic form of charting. When you ovulate your temp spikes (very slightly). This helps you to know when you are ovulating, but the more complex forms of charting help better with TTC. You can also check cervix position, openness, and firmness and cervical mucous to tell you a few days before hand that you are about to ovulate. This is when you either have sex of avoid sex depending on what you are trying to do (prevent or get pregnant). Do a google search on natural family planning or fertility awareness method for more details. There are also many free online places to enter this information instead of doing it with paper and pencil.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I used fertility friend. You will probably need a basal body thermometer from some place like Target, walgreens & such. You will take your temp every day at the same time & record it. You can also track cervical mucus & cervical position depending on how much you want to get into it.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010