I have a friend who just found out her daughter has autism

Is there a website where moms of kids with autism can chat, ask questions etc.?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are several groups on here.I use these to talk with other moms.Other than that,I know of Circle of Moms.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There are autism groups on here! Even ones specifically for girls :) My dd has autism, and let me tell you her gifts completely outweigh her problems :) Everyone has issues, even us "normal" people :) But she has certain gifts that come along with her aspergers that amaze people. She has been reading WELL since she was 2. Can read anything you put in front of her, not just simple books but adult BIG words...lol. Love to see peoples face when she reads in front of them :)

And she can swim like a fish, b/c fear does not slow her down. Has been doing this since she was 2 as well.

Let your friend know that its ok, and there is a sort of grieving process you go through. But you come out on the other side better :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There is a group here on cafemom. I prefer this group : Autism/Asperger's/PDD Awareness

www.AutismSpeaks.org is a wonderful resource

as well as the Autism Society of America

http://www.autism-society.org

She should also check to see if there are local support groups that could point her in a good direction.

There are many people who are very passionate about this subject. They feel that way that they are treating their children is the ONLY way to treat autism. I have experienced a lot of criticism my self for not using certain methods on my son. But having worked in the field for many years, I had my reasons for not following some of those trends.

If you would like, message me, or have her message me with any questions. I would be happy to help if I could.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There are lots of support groups out there but also some very inspirational stories about what autistic children have been able to achieve.

Below are links to two stories. The first is about Eric Duquette, who spoke at his high school graduation this year. It's from ABC News - you need to listen to a commercial before you can see it, but it's worth the wait. The other is about Temple Grandin, autistic and on Time's List of 100 Most Influential People.

Eric's story: http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/autistic-students-inspirational-graduation-speech-10935769

Temple's story: autistic and on Time’s TOP 100 Most Influential People

She's going to need your support.

Pat
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 8:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would encourage her to seek out a local support group. I became very involved with our local Autism Society when my son was diagnosed and it was nice to see "real" people instead of just people in books or online. It is also more likely to help her access local resources that will help (schools, financial help, therapy places, etc, even things like gated playgrounds). Not that online groups are bad or aren't needed, but having someone that knows where to go for things locally is nice.
    Our local Autism Society also has an E-group, so it's online AND has people that know local drs, dentists, etc. Hers may have something similar as well!

Answer by missanc at 8:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I came HERE to CafeMom to connect with moms who were dealing with Autistic children. BOTH of my children have high-functioning autism, but like a previous poster said, their autism offers more gifts than hindrances. In fact my 8 1/2 year old (after a TON of speech and social skills practice will be in a REGULAR EDUCATION classroom this fall for 3rd grade! YAY! My 6 1/2 year old is going into 1st grade and will spend about 60% of his day in a regular education classroom and 40% in an autistic support classroom--where they will continue to work on behavior modification, speech, and OT.

Both of my boys are hyperlexic--meaning they can phonetically read--they just have difficulty comprehending, and spell, and write perfectly! They have been able to do so since they were 2-3 years old--which is why it was so hard for us to understand what autism really is/was. Conversational speech remains to be their sticking point.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010