School let out a few weeks ago andI'm ready for it to start up again!

My son has a very short attention span,and keeping him amused over the summer is always a chore. He actually WANTS to go back to school already! I guess I shouldn't complain. Anyone else's kids this way?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• two older kids have summer school this week-YEAH!
    not looking forward to when they finish that-YIKES

Got To Love The Teachers!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes. My kids need the structure and the routine and I just cannot provide that for them, especially when they out number me 4 to 1.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no my daughter misses her teacher and classmates but she is loving her summer vacation
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 8:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was always like that. My mom made little summer time lessons for me to do to keep my brain busy. lots of science things that involved outdoors.
    AmandaMichele

Answer by AmandaMichele at 8:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It was a really rough year for both of us; I just remember that when I feel this way.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes, my daughter LOVES school. But she was in kindergarten so it's only natural to like it! She misses her teacher but we're actually on vacation and her best friend is with us so she doesn't miss him too!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• LOL! My boys love the structure too! :o) Fortunately for ALL of us they will be going to day camp starting July 6th, so structure, they will get! We've been taking some day trips, going to local carnivals, and we will be in Maine next week an8-9 hour car ride for us), which has/should keep them occupied!

My son's teachers give them "summer fun packets" to practice their math and reading skills (plus a little arts and crafts) over the summer, if your child's teacher didn't do this, then why don't you buy a REALLY big age appropriate activity book, but treat it like school, and say something like "now, pick 5 pages you like and complete them, then I'll "grade" them?!" My boys like doing this--it keeps them busy and they're practicing their skills--so it's a win-win! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My kids don't really want to be back in school, but I find the thought dreamy. We have been spending lots of time at the pools and also time with their friends, I am just having issues keeping myself on track. I realized the other day that I hadn't been doing my to do lists and I am thinking once I kick those up again things will get a little better for me. That, and I am procrastinating planning out our summer trip. The thought of being in the car alone with the kids for two days makes me want to walk cross country alone in the summer heat. Last year when planning this trip I was thinking 'what's the worst that can happen?' and now it's "WTH was I thinking?".

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My kids are in year round school - so they go to school for 9 weeks and then are out for 3-4 depending on the break. It works pretty well. My mom always got us school workbooks for math for the next grade level up and if we finished them before the end of the summer we got a special "treat" (usually a movie, or a trip to Pizza Hut) and then we had a 30 minute "reading time" after lunch where we had to sit in our own rooms alone and read a book, of our choosing. Libraries a lot of times now have a reading contest where if you read so many books you get a prize at the end of the summer - Barnes and Noble has done something similar in the past. Check out your local Parks and Recreation Department for some low cost, educational camps/programs. Just get him involved in stuff so he doesn't have time to get bored!

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My second child graduated high school this year so I only have one school child left.
    She is in no rush to go back to school (she'll be going into the 11th grade), but she is driving me crazy!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2010