When do babies stop waking up so early?

Have any of you had an early riser who finally started sleeping in? My 11 month old seems to be an early bird. He usually sleeps all night but has been waking up sometime between 4:30-5:30 am for the last 5-6 months (at least). I've tried just feeding him and putting him back to sleep (also tried adjusting his bed/dinner times) but nothing can get him to sleep in. I've started to accept that he'll just wake up early and then take an early morning nap, but... how much longer will this last? When will I be able to sleep in past 5:30 am?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 8:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest is an early bird and always has been. He's almost 5 now and still gets up at about 7:30ish. My other two are a different story though. Both of them would sleep all day if they didn't get hungry! My middle child would just wake up for a bottle and go back to sleep right after if I let her! I just think it's all on what kind of kid they are as all 3 of mine are COMPLETELY different
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Im lucky mine has always went to sleep when I do and gets up when I wake him up. My next one im sure wont do that so I am enjoying it while I can! :) Try to get some sleep! Maybe get someone to watch him a couple times a week just so you can take a nap! GL Hun!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• honestly I think it is the way you train them to sleep lol. My oldest she use to wake up at 6am I would put her back to bed everytime she woke up cause I didn't want to get up that early lol so when I did that she would sleep and still does at 5 until at least 9 sometimes later. My 2.5 year old however she wakes up at 7 I never thought her to sleep in so she never does lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• sorry- didnt have that problem with my daughter and hopefully not my son either! Good luck!
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I really think it just depends. I know several people who's 4 year olds are still waking before 5. My younger son was waking up around 5 but thank goodness he is now sleeping until about 7-7:30
    mysonismyjoy

Answer by mysonismyjoy at 8:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with the PP that you can train them to sleep in at that age. I always said anything BEFORE 6am was too early and I treated it like a middle of the night wake up. After 6 am is fair game. My son is 4 months old and he sleeps from 8pm-6am.

When he gets older (probably around your son's age) I am going to try and train him to sleep later. I did it with my 4yr old dd by adding 10-15 mins each day till I went and got her out of her crib. She woke at 5:30, so I made her lay there till 5:45 for a 3-4 days, then 6am for 3-4 days. And I just kept doing this till we got up at 7. After the first few days she just started sleeping later. So the first day she woke up at 5:30 and fussed till I got her at 5:45. The second day she did the same. The 3rd day she slept till almost 5:45. She repeated this pattern till I had her sleeping till the 7am time that I wanted.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My 8-month old--same issues. I do not get him until 6:00 most days...just let him cry. He's been waking periodically at 6:30, which is ideal. He goes to bed at 7:00...7:30 at the latest, so that's pretty darn good. I agree that you can train them up to a point, but you do have to do it early enough, or when they're old enough to reason with. I read 5 different sleep books b/c I was having issues with sleep (just would not nap) when he was 4 month old. Read great suggestions about all kinds of issues, not just naps. Experts agree that as long as you know he's not starving/hungry, you can leave him/her in the crib until a respectable time (6:00 sounds like a fair time for you). The trick is feeling secure that he's not "starving". I know once I pick my son up and distract him, he isn't freaking out anymore. I can even get him to play for a bit before feeding him, so I know it's not terrible hunger he's crying b/c of.
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks ladies! Sorry I can't figure out how to comment without "answering" this question.

I've tried a lot of these tips for months at a time. Some of the problems I have is that I have to check him periodically, because he usually poos when he's falling asleep, so if he's crying in his crib, it's sometimes because of a dirty diaper. Plus, he's just wide awake and happy that early! I did just leave him in his crib (he almost never went back to sleep) until 6 am for a few months, and he seemed okay with that, but I started feeling bad about missing out on 1.5 hours of interaction time with my son. If he's genuinely awake and playful, I don't feel right to just leave him alone in a dark, confined space for that long (even if he's not crying).

I'm just wondering when/if his body will ever want to sleep in. Maybe some people are just morning folks.
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• So babies are just early risers, just like some adults. With the next major growth spurt you may see a change in sleep pattern. Young babies and children (and the elderly) seem to be morning people, while teenagers tend to sleep in :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• His body may not let him. My DH cannot phisically sleep past 7am. He cant do it. Always waked up. No ,atter what time he went to bed. My grandmother, shes up at 6 am every day. No alarm clock. She cant sleep either. Maybe hes just meant to wake early?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010