I have very soft well water, how do I keep my laundry bright?

My laundry tends to get grayish.

Asked by Bmat at 8:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• have you tried using vinegar with the rinse cycle?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Use less detergent, add baking soda each wash (small amount- ¼ cup for large load), Make sure your detergent doesn't already have softener in it... or you could try OxyClean- that seems to be a really nice cure-all in laundry.
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 8:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't want to add more softener, although thank you for the suggestion, the water is already very soft. I haven't tried vinegar, thank you. I have a container of oxyclean, but when I used it on a stain, it bleached the item, so I am afraid to use it in my laundry.

Comment by Bmat (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Try vinegar, it brightens the color and prevents the dark fabrics from leaking.
    I hear that boiling whites in water and vinegar and leaving overnight will whiten whites, but haven't tried it yet
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 4:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010