do you think the sun causes cancer?

when we clearly spend less time in the sun and use more sunscreen...why would skin cancer still be on th rise? do you think it is possible we are barking up the wrong tree?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Health

• A lot of new studies indicate that sun screens help promote cancer by absorbing harmful chemicals into the skin, while at the same time blocking vitamin D aborbtion (vitamin D kills free radicals on the skin that cuase cancer). If you burn, then you are also improving risk of cancer. We don't use sunscreen in our house though. We do not burn, & i am a firm believer that sun block promotes cancer. I have studied up on it very thoroughly & the findings are pretty obvious.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The scientists say it causes skin cancer, who am I to argue? lol
    I put sunscreen on because, well, better safe than sorry!!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• skin cancer is also caused by tanning beds so you have to factor that in too. you would need to compare the rate of skin cancer for people who have never been to a tanning bed vs. people who have skin cancer and go to the tanning beds to make a decision
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Absolutely *apply sunscreen daily*
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 8:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it does mostly because I've seen it happen. My dad got skin cancer. Mind you he has worked in the sun for 35 years with sunscreen so it took a while. Id bet that a lot of the reason there are more cases of skin cancer are because so many people go to tanning beds on a regular basis.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 8:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think the sun can cause cancer. My dad was a farmer, and he was constantly in the sun. He did develop cancer on his lower lip, which he had to have surgically removed. He always worked in a long-sleeved shirt and wore a hat, but I guess the sun still got on his face. He never had any other cancerous spots on him. I think the answer lies in using plain old common sense. My family is allergic to sunscreen so we just try to use our brains and not stay out in the sun long enough to blister ourselves. So far, no one has had any problems.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think a lot of people are necessarily staying out of the sun as much. I think they figure as long as they have sunscreen on they are immune to sun - but sunscreen doesn't completely take away the risk, it only reduces it and I don't think people get that. Before sunscreen people would never have taken a 6 month old out in the direct sun in the middle of the day, but yet now you see people doing it all the time with the assumption that because their child has on sunscreen they are immune to the sun's rays.

Answer by missanc at 8:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Does a pencil misspell words? LOL No, the sun doesn't cause cancer- unaware, unassuming and irresponsible time in the sun allows for excess exposure to UV (both A and B) -radiation and *could* cause skin cancer. People need to be cautious when exposed to the sun- wear sunscreen, it's simple.

Also, there are other varying factors that could cause skin cancer (ie- genetics).
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 8:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i was at the cdc site, they still say the fare skinned people that burn easily have a higher risk.
    i am sure there must be tanning bed and skin cancer studies somewhere.
    although the two people that i know that had skin cancer both had fair skin and light colored eyes.
    i just want answers that make sense!
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I know 3 ppl that have had it. One died from it. None of them used sun screen until they found out they had it. I take sun safety seriously. Why put yourself at risk? Its not that hard to take a few precautions.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010