do you let your kids teethe or play with your keys?

i always have..... i don't see a problem with it (they like to chew on my keychain.... it's kind of like a leather strap thing). the reason i ask is bc when we were at storytime this woman was telling me "oh your baby has your keys!" and i said "i know..... that's ok." then she was saying "well, don't you think it's dangerous????" and i said "no, but i do think it's none of your business". it really pisses me off when people try to give me advice, but what's your opinion? do you think it's a big deal?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use to freak when I saw my oldest gnawing on my keys. Oh geeze, all those germs! Now I'm on my 3rd and I let her whenever she wants to (but I take off the door opener part on it as we have walked outside and saw all 3 doors open!). What my thought process is is that there is nothing on those keys that aren't already on my hands. The only place my keys go are in my pocket, my purse, or in my ignition. I guess in the long run, I think it helps her immunity... and I'm proud to say that she turned 1 yesterday and hasn't even had a cold.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think keys are gross. lots of germs are carried on keys/keychains. i always let ds teethe on clean items, softer rubbery things, or the toys he chose himself, but they were always things i knew i had cleaned/sanitized, or could again.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I used to give him my keys to play with all the time! Then we got a car with a panic button on the fob and he has a tendency to set it off so he doesnt get them anymore. I dont think its any more dangerous than letting him play with a toy with wheels that he can step on and fall over.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• 1. How could it be dangerous, keys are pretty big! So dont think it wont be swallowed unless she is worried about child biting a piece of leather off...
    2. No We never really let dd play with keys, she always went straight for the red button on the keypad, which would set off our alarms..
    3. My mom let me teeth on hers, She had a piece of leather on hers that was sappose to be decor... But I had other plans, Wish she would have kept it! LOL.. I remember seeing it as a kid I nawwed down on that thing! LOL
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No. I don't let my daughter have my keys ever. There are too many germs. I am not some one who sanitizes all the time (you should see my house, lol) but keys are laid on counters in stores, in the bottom of a purse or coat pocket, etc. I just think there are TOO many germs. Also, there is the possiblity that she could poke herself in the eye or ear and that is too much of a risk. This is just my opinion.

I do think people should mind their own business. Everyone is different and does things their own way. I'm sure that woman probably does some things with her child that you wouldn't but she was probably just trying to help.
    Cheryl4424

Answer by Cheryl4424 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would never let my kids play with my keys - think about where they have been. However if you want to let yours do so then by all means :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• yeah, i also don't believe in sanitizing everything constantly..... i think it makes their immune system stronger to be exposed to the usual little germs. everyone i know who sanitizes things constantly, washes their hands 24/7 and uses the hand sanitizer constantly are the same people who are sick all the time and their kids always have the snotty noses. my kids are hardly ever sick.... i think it makes sense.
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, 2 reasons. Germs and they would get lost. I do get annoyed in a store if someone says something. I agree they need to mind their own business.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, I didn't. But, I did buy my son one of the "toy key" sets that he loved!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i am still looking for a set of keys my son lost last year :(
    i won't let them do that anymore!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2010