4th of July - Fireworks

Do you buy your own for a home display or do you go out to a public show?

We don't like to "burn" our money so we let the neighbors in the neighborhood behind us LOL They set off big boomers like Disney does so we get a great show from our home. I don't like to go anywhere because of people drinking etc.

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 8:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• We normally buy fireworks but they've gotten so expensive in the past few years. I'm tempted to do a stadium show, but like you, I'm worried about being on the road with drunk drivers. I'm still undecided on what we'll be doing for the 4th.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• luckily we can see the display the city puts on from our back yard so we're good lol. and the neighbors buy some too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We buy a few, but our main entertainment is the show our city puts on!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We live in a funny little state, and border another funny little state!

Pennsylvania allows you to set off fireworks on your own property, BUT they prohibit the sale of them in PA! HOWEVER, we can travel 3 miles over the New Jersey state line and buy them there! LOL

In New Jersey, you can buy fireworks, but you cannot (technically) set them off--even on your own private property. Although, I don't think anyone really enforces it, unless you have annoying, kill-joy, neighbors with nothing better to do, than call the police! LOL

But all in all we only buy the "tame" fireworks--sparklers, roman candles, firecrackers, etc.

july 4th

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Our town has a Festival this week, and always had one the week BEFORE the week of 4th of July, so we can sit in our driveway and watch the whole thing!!! And on the 4th we go to the local Menards and sit in their parking lot and watch the town next to us' fireworks. My kids love'em.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 8:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We go to a fireworks display for a few different reasons..

one: in our state you can legal buy big fireworks, without proper permit, and it's too much of a hassle to deal with legal repercussions so we just go out (plus safes money)

two: SO is a fireman and is in the parade they have before the display.

three: gives me a chance to see a lot of people I haven'ts een in a while. (all the towns around us are pretty small, ours has only 800 roughly as the populations, so it's easy to see people you know, lol. )
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I thought you could buy fireworks in PA? that's were some people from NY go to buy there's... (again it's not legal here).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nope, can't in the state of Illinois. Its illegal. And I don't want to drive to Indiana just to burn money we don't really have anyway just to risk getting caught and having them confiscated.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• In PA only NON PA residents can buy them, thats why you see the huge firework shops near the state lines on the 90 and other routes.

But in NY it's illegal to bring them here and set them off. They are too dangerous and here in the Buffalo area there are DOZENS of suburbs and the city that do firework displays....we go to one that sets them off near the beach, so we watch them there.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We do both!!! My husband LOVES fireworks so we buy them when we go to SC to visit my family and bring them back here to PA. Noone around here sets off "legal" fireworks. It's like the Battle of Gettysburg around here on July 4th!!! We go to public displays too.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010