do you gate/lock your child to their room (or small part of the house) at night?

just curious if you gate your child in their room or anything to keep them out of the kitchen, etc for safety?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nope - kids have to learn. My kids are too scared to go all the way downstairs at night (too dark) however we have a small nightlight in our room and we leave our door open so that tend to crawl into bed with us.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no, i do this to my dog!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, I put a gate at the top of the stairs but they have to walk by the stairs to get to our bedroom or each others room. I don't want a sleep 2 year old falling down the stairs. I have never locked then in their room with one. The gate of the stairs is the only one in our house.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nope. Never did, and it was never a problem.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 9:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We did for just awhile because our middle child would wake up and wonder down the hall, into the kitchen, dining room and then start screaming because he couldn't find us. He just was not awake enough to know where he was going. We put up a gate so he could only get from his room to our room. After about a month we took it down. He now has the path down to our bedroom and doesn't wander around.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, last time we put up a gate my friends son kept riding on it and tore a hole in the wall.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughters, 2 and 3, have gates on their doorways. We close them when we put them in bed, then go open them once they are asleep. We want them to be able to get us, but not to be able to get together to jump on the bed or get into things in the bathrooms instead of going to sleep. There is also a gate at the top of the stairs because we worry about one of them falling. In any case, we always respond when they call. My oldest reminds us to close her gate. I think it makes her feel secure.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no, but my DD usually shares the bed with me so I know if she gets up or not.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nope. I've never had a reason to. I taught my kids where they were and were not allowed to be, and the reasoning behind it.
    oboe_chik

Answer by oboe_chik at 9:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We close her door at night EVERYONE in our house closes ALL doors at night it's just how we were raised . I HATE sleeping with the door open. I don't see why it would be "wrong" for keeping the doors closed if that is what we ALL do and are used to doing.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010