Tips on introducing new cat

I adopted a female cat yesterday that is approximately 6-8 months old and hasn't been spayed yet. I already have a spayed female that is around 15 months old. So far the older cat is already having a really tough time accepting this new cat. I realize its still pretty early on, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on helping them get acquainted.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Hi,

Thank you for adopting.

I adopted an 8-year old cat when my cat was about 8 years old as well. What I did that helped was had them in separate rooms for a few days to get used to each other's smells. After that, I put up a child gate between the two rooms so they could see each other and smell each other. When I felt they were ready, I removed the gate. They never became great friends but did tolerate each other.

The mistake I made originally was to put the new cat in my bedroom which was really the place where my old cat hung out the most; i.e. her territory. So I quickly changed that.

Good luck,
    Pat
    Pet announcements - good for adoption
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 9:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• When I got my two cats, I got them a few months apart and the first time I tried to introduce them, the older cat didn't want anything to do with the younger cat. I took the younger cat with me when I had to pick hubby up from work and when we got home, the older cat accepted the newer cat right away.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have my exs n i's older cat now (he kept her till he moved in with a roommate who has 2 dogs n a cat ad we knew she wouldnt handle that) She is old and hates most everything, but does love us. My parents had adopted a fiesty little cat and she scared the bejeezus out of thier cat (very mild manner) and thier golden retriever! But she is such a loving cat we hated to send her back to the pound cuz most people adopt kittens and her being over a yr old made her hard to adopt. So I took her in as my daughters cat. a year later we still have fur fly and they fight over who is sleeping with me but they do also play and/or avoid each other.
    I did contact my vet and they gave me some spray to calm this fiesty feline and it does work when we use it. (its in a white bottle with purple lettering) So give them lots of time and seperate them when they need to be.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We had two separate opportunities to bring in new cats as they keep popping up malnourished, sick and flea riddled around our apartment complex. Each time we left the new cat in the bathroom with the door shut for a few hours (2-4) and then opened the door, allowing the cats to explore as they wished. There was a bit of a stand off at first but within a day or two they had all found their roles and settled down, now they are one big happy, noisy family.
    WildatHeart918

Answer by WildatHeart918 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010