• In the Spotlight:

Would you be mad?

Ok, so my ex has visitation with our son on a semi regular basis (his choice). When he has our son he is very inconsistent with getting child care while he works. Usually our son ends up with his sister for the whole visit. My thing is this, the other night, our son was supposed to be with his Dad. I called him, and he was with his Aunt (again). When they brought him home, he informed me that his Aunt had left him with a girl that plays volleyball on her team (she coaches the high school team) all day! Now, my thing is this, neither I nor my ex knows this girl at all! I think it is BS that he sends our son to his sister, and she sends him to someone else. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I would be keeping track of these instances, and present them to whomever has handled your divorce, and see what, if anything can be done about the visitation issues! Make sure you stress that you are concerned about your son's safety and his best interests, and if your ex "can't be bothered" with making the APPROPRIATE arrangements, and isn't even around most weekends when he has your son, then maybe he doesn't really NEED to see him, in which case, your son shouldn't be sent to him, and the visitation should be canceled for that week!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• That would make me crabby big time!!!!

Lorikeet has some good advice!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would not like that at all. That should be his time to spend with his son. If he can't, he should leave him with you and not a strager or relative.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i would be completely pissed off if this happened more often then not because for one he is going to see his dad not to be left with an aunt everytime hes suppose to be with his father. seeing family is great but if he knows that when your son is left there she finds someone else to watch him then thats not exactly family time. what he should do is bring him back home to you. im sure if roles were reversed he would feel like you are lacking in your parenting responsibilities. Do what you think is best but me personally i would have a talk with him and let him know that when your son leaves your house to spend time with his father that what he should be doing. there are too many crazy people out there and you never know whats on the mind of an individual that you yourself have never met before regardless of if the aunt trusts the babysitter or not. its not up to her to be the judge its up to you.
    MinnieMoni

Answer by MinnieMoni at 10:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• That would annoy me. My friend has an arrangement in their divorce that before a babysitter is hired then the other parent has the opportunity to care for them first. This is good and bad. They trade off lot in summer depending on work schedules. On the other hand when they want to go on a date it is weird to drop off you child with the other parent and pick them up the next day. He should be able to get child care if he is workign just like you could hire someone. It doesnt really matter if you know the babysitter it is his call. If he isnt going to spend any time with the child then it is rediculous that he takes him though.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I find it unacceptable for his aunt to leave your child with someone you don't know and I think it's horrible of your ex not to see his son during his visitation. I know you'd much rather have your ds with you if he's not going to spend time with him. I don't know if you can request that he not leave your son during his visits (if he has to work, that's one thing) it just isn't good for your ds.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010