Why don't all Christian women have long hair?

The bible says it is her glory.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• oh boy..here we go!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• why don't all Christian men have beards? leviticus 19:27 "'You shall not cut the hair on the sides of your heads, neither shall you clip off the edge of your beard.

;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I guess its just one of those verses/issues not all Christians agree on. Like when it comes to wearing pants. Honestly I think its best to follow one's own conviction on such matters. And while I personally prefer to keep my hair longer, its not really for a religious reason. I think there are a lot more important things we can be doing when it comes to faith and following God than worrying about hair. For those who feel convicted in the area, there's nothing wrong with keeping your hair long. But there's nothing wrong with cutting it, IMO. But that's just me. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I find that Christianity isn't a really strict religion. There are a lot of things in the bible that most Christians do not follow. Does that make them any less Christian? That's for God (Jesus) to decide.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 9:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• That doesn't mean it HAS to be long. The scripture means women should dress and groom themselves in such a way that they look feminine and men should dress and groom in such a way that they look masculine. Fashion changes throughout time and today there are many feminine hairstyles that aren't long. The scripture that you are referring to is simply instructing Christians to keep gender roles clear...women should look like women and men should look like men.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Because I like shorter hair.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Everyone thinks that verse says something different :)

For me there are "boy" cuts and "girl" cuts......people shouldn't have a hard time telling if you are male or female!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Romans 2:12
    All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.

Romans 3:19
    Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

Romans 6:14
    For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

1 Corinthians 9:20
    To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

1 Corinthians 9:21
    To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

Galatians 3:25
    Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law

contin
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• In other words we are to fit in with our environment. We are not supposed to look in ways that stand out, but act in ways that stand out.

The Old Testament speaks of laws and man's inability to follow the laws of his own accord. The New Testament is about Jesus' fulfillment of the laws, bridging the gap between God and man through his sacrifice, atoning for our sin. Here is an example:

Galatians 4:4
    But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law

And here is what Jesus said about the laws we are to follow:

Matthew 22:36-40
    Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think the asker thought of this as a law. A glory is something we would desire. It seems if God thinks it is a glory we should as well.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010