My baby only eats Gerber Graduates

Help!! My 11-month old won't eat any table food. She drinks 4 (6-8ounce) bottle of formula per day. I give her the Similac Go and Grow formula because it is supposed to be for babies that don't eat well. The only thing she ever wants to eat is the Gerber Graduates. I don't know if she has a texture issue or what. She has NEVER had a huge appetite. She is usually "too busy" to eat. It's so frustrating because I go to all the trouble of making her a meal ( pasta, bananas, hard-boiled egg yolks, cream cheese or butter on bagel, canned veggies, drained minestrone soup, strawberries....) It's not like anything grosses her out she just takes a couple of bites and is done with it. The only time she acts somewhat interested is if I give her a bite of something I am eating that probably has way too much sodium for her to eat. I think she just wants something with a lot of flavor. Any suggestions of flavorful food that is not too salty

Avensmommy

Asked by Avensmommy at 9:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it actually sounds like you're doing great, i know what worked for me was hitting my son at the right time to eat, like in the morning instead of a bottle i would offer oatmeal. and i always put him in a high chair so he would only be able to focus on the food and not running off to play. most kids that age do graize though, only eating a bite or two and then coming back. you could try to sit down with her plate of food and act like it's yours and she may be more interested.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would bet that if you stopped giving her the graduates that she would start eating what you give her. My son is 11 months old and Ive never given him graduates because I dont want him to get a taste for packaged and over processed foods.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• ditto aqua...if you dont give it to her she wont eat it :)

I think that if you make her take a minute and focus on eating (like putting her in a high chair or putting the toys away) shell get better @ it. Maybe offer her a few bites of different foods if she likes variety. After a while she will eat what she is given.

She's a lucky girl to have a mommy that will make all those yummy foods. ;)

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone!!! I do put her in a high chair. However, her high chair is in the living room, so maybe I need to turn the television off, and make sure her toys are put away.
    Avensmommy

Comment by Avensmommy (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• A few bites is great! Babies often have small appetites, especially if they are drinking a lot of milk. Do you give her the bottle before food? If I let my son have only a few ounces of "milk" and then we switch to food, he eats a lot better and then drinks a few more ounce during/after the meal. To deal with his boredom, I let him play with (hold, bang, throw, etc.) a spoon, bowl or whatever and then I slip more food in his mouth when he opens up. Somedays, he just wants to be fed.

Try sharing a meal with her! Yes, you will have to eat a little more healthy (at least when she's there), but that's a good thing right? Plus, then she might be more interested in it, and you won't feel annoyed when there's food left over (I'm sure babies pick up on the pressure to eat/behave).

Give her healthy options, "help" her eat when necessary, and let her decide when she's had enough. Don't compare her to other kids and don't worry!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I never gave my kids gerber graduates they at what we ate when they got too old for baby food. The reason she don't eat is because she's not used to flavor but turn the tv off put her high chair in the kitchen because the kitchen is for eating and give her dinner she's sure to eat...another thing wait til you know when she's getting hungry and feed her..I taught my kids early on the kitchen was where you eat if you don't teach her that she'll think she can eat on the couches or the floor and kids are messy messy at this age you'll have a couch full of stains and a carpet matted w food. GL
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I never gave either of my children gerber graduates because they are more expensive. And I am not a short order cook, everyone eats the same thing around her or they starve---lol
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Stop buying them. It is more important 'what' your little ones eat instead of "how much" they eat...most of the time. I just would not offer them to her anymore. Offer her what you want her to eat, and only what you want her to eat.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010