Thank you cards......old fashion?

Am I really that old fashion? When someone gives any of my kids a gift (or us) or does something really nice/helpful/considerate etc I write a Thank you Card and mail it out. A rule in our house is if you recieve a gift you can not Eat it, Play with it, Wear it, Use it or Spend it until a Thank you card is written out. I just feel that someone took the time to pick out something, wrap it and bring it with them you can spend less than 2 min writing a thank you card.

Whenever I have given a gift I will sometimes get a verbal Thank you but I never recieve a Thank you card..............why is that?

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 9:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• I think it's awesome that you do this but understand as one of the many that don't. I think it's important that gratitude is expressed but not always in written form. That said I encourage you to continue what you do, maybe you will restart a trend. I know you've got me wanting to run out and pick up a pack of thank you cards, and bravo for teaching your children such wonderful values.
    WildatHeart918

Answer by WildatHeart918 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I send thank you cards for gifts, as well as when someone does something nice for me. It's just good manners! :) We have the same policy in our home regarding thank you cards. I'm hoping that my kids continue to send notes after they're out of the house.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's old fashion, I think it's VERY polite, and wish more people would extend the curtsy of using them. I grew up using them and my DD and I still send them out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't know anyone who sends out thank you cards, and I don't send them out either. A verbal thank you is fine with me. Gratitude being expressed is what's important to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I usually don't send a card if the person is there when I open the gift and I verbally thank them. I believe, though, that I should. I just don't. I approve of your policy about not using a gift until a thank you is given.

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont send out thank you cards, nor do I recieve them, but I do like the thought of them. I was just raised to verbally say thank you.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I still send thank you cards. I think it is thoughtful and polite. Unless it is a mutual exchange of gifts.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 9:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've never sent thank you cards when I was in Italy because they don't exist there, you just say thank you in person. Since I'm here in the USA I sent so many! For my baby shower, for gifts for my second babies, for the gifts for Baptism etc...I found out that you can send picture cards starting at 99 cents form Hallmark website (you don't pay the stamp either) and I love to send those now.
    I got some thank you card too
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thank you cards are going by the wayside which is such a shame, especially if it is a gift through the mail. It is polite and gracious. You are teaching your children much more than just saying thank you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think its polite to send a thank you cards. I do that myself as well but sometimes I caught myself thinking of environment friendly soI do e-card instead to feel better that I am helping with the environment. :)
    wandahoshina

Answer by wandahoshina at 3:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010