Is there something wrong with me?

I just can't seem to get excited for other people's pregnancies or babies. Like I honestly don't care. I don't want to see the pictures, I don't want to hear about milestones or anything. It's not that I don't like babies, I really do. But I'm just very uninterested in most of them, and their mothers. When I am talking to someone who only seems to talk about her baby, I get annoyed and no longer want to talk to them.
I just feel like that isn't natural.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are entitled to your feelings. The friendly and courteous thing to do would be to listen politely with a smile or a concerned look and then gently steer the conversation away.

Answer by Bmat at 9:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I actually love hearing about my friends kids and always have:) I try to be careful to save stories about my kiddos for people I know are interested though.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It's never interested me much either. Never understood all the excitement over doing what they are supposed to do
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've known quite a few women that I now avoid because all they ever talk about is their pregnancies, babies, or how hard it is being a mom. I don't care to have a 20-minute conversation about the consistency of their babies bowel movements. It's annoying to me as well - there are lots of other things to talk about. I don't think there's something wrong with you, you've probably just been around annoying moms so much you're tired of them all together :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I feel the same way so don't worry.. I mean I'm happy for them and all but come on thats not all I want to hear about and I could care less about hearing about it 24/7. Just like my own that I am pregnant with now I am excited and when some ones asks I will tell them about whats going on but thats not all I want to talk about.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• o.O I agree with your last statement, it's not natural. But then I also feel that many people who are having kids should have never had kids at all. Ever.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• as long as you put up a good front and seem a bit interested and are not rude (which I am sure you are doing) no big deal

I used to love hearing that stuff, now that my daughter is three and is not developed "normaly" (autism issues)
    I dread hearing good things , normal things, I want to cry when I even see a child (especially my childs age) that is "normal"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• but I have never told anyone before now

once when at a store, without my child with me, I stopped and was chatting with a mom who had a child with her, her daughter was a few months younger than my daughter and her child was chatting it up, very happy, good eye contact, handed my her toy, asked me questions, interacted with me and was talking. I enjoyed chatting with this mom (whom I never met)
    BUT after we parted
    I went to the ladies room and cried, the rest of me day sucked
    but the mom I talked to would never have known how I was crumbling inside, as her child showed me how behide my child was
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I leave hearing about my friends babies and chatting with them. I think it would be hard if I was in a position like fiatpax. I think I'm pretty good at only chatting about my baby with people who show interest. If someone I don't really know or care about chats too much about their baby, I don't care, but if it's someone I know and care for, I'm excited about what THEY are excited about. And if it's someone, say, in my family, I'm excited about it because I'm related. I can't imagine not caring about my friend's babies and pregnancies.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010