If your kids have/had a train set...

What kind is it? What age were they when you got it? How much do they play with it? At what age did they outgrow it?

I'm looking at a wooden train table and train set (the Imaginarium one at Toys R Us), but I don't want to spend that much on something that takes up that much space if the kids won't play with it for very long. My husband thinks I should get a smaller set and gradually add on, but I think that will be more expensive in the long run.

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son got the GeoTrax set when he was 2. He's almost 9 now and still plays with it. In fact me and my husband had so much fun with it we bought more and more tracks just so WE could build a bigger configuration. It covered our whole living room at one point and had 3 or 4 trains (which are remote controlled) running on it. Great family fun.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My boys had a Lionel train set, which we added on to for years. The older son still has that one, and he continues to add on to it. The younger son also now has his own train set. Both of them are set up every year to encircle their Christmas trees. It may depend entirely on the child, but my boys are now 40 and 32 years old, and they still love their trains!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my ds has thomas trains/tracks, no table/mat. he thinks he would like a table, like they have at toysrus, but nah...he's played with trains since about 2ish, he's now 5. i don't see him leaving the station anytime soon.
    we bought here and there, had some stuff handed-down, from older cousins.
    we moved a month ago, and gave all his geo-tracks/trains/figures to the neighbor's boy. i personally liked the geo-tracks better, but ds adores thomas and percy, etc. !
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I got a coupon at Borders for 40% off anything. They had a Melissa and Doug wood train set there. It was around 49.99 I believe. I used my coupon towards that. Target has wood add on parts that are pretty cheap and work with the set. My son was a little under two when he got his. He loves it. Are coffee table has felt on it and we set the train set up there every weekend.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 10:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my kids have thomas the train stuff. my dad built the table. we have 3 boys, so all toys get used!
    i like the idea of the lionel train and building on that over the years! we might start that this christmas!
    my kids quit playing with thomas by the time they are 4.
    the wooden tracks work with hotwheels too, if that helps with your decision.
    toys r us usually has an off brand table and train set too, that is more affordable.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010