Midwife versus traditional OBGYN?

My first baby is 8 months and I had him with a traditional OBGYN. Loved her, but that practice is so popular and has many doctors (6), there's no sure thing she'll even deliver my second (when we start trying again). I am thinking of going the midwife route with my second. I do have a Lupus diagnosis though it's soo mild and had no effect on my first pregnancy. Also, I'll be 35 with this second pregnancy. I will probably say yes to drugs again, but I want to avoid being induced (my labor was 30 hours partly b/c of this). Any advice/wisdom/insight out there for me?

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• All I can tell you is..I plan on using a midwife when I am pregnant next time. I feel that is the better choice for me. I prefer less interventions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Never hurts to call around and talk to them about it, interview midwifes in your area, get a feel for it all and then make the switch!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with calling around and interviewing them. Also now, some ob's offer midwives through their practices (mine does) and that way, if something would go wrong or something were to happen, your regular ob is on call during the birth just in case.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• PP said exactly what I was going to say. My practice, at the time I delivered baby #3, had 4 obgyns, and 2 midwives. That way, if needed, an obgyn was on staff and ready. And in my case, it turns out I did need the obgyn, because I had an emergency csection with baby #3!
    BTW, my first two children were delivered completely naturally. Baby #1 was with an obgyn, and I tore like crazy and didnt enjoy my delivery as much. Baby #2 was delivered by a midwife, I didnt tear at all, the baby was 8 lbs 9 ozs! And the deliver and recovery were great, I was out of the hospital the next day!
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i don't know if any professional midwives offer drugs. you may want to look into a nursing midwife instead.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd take a midwife over an OB any day.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my first was delivered by a idwife that i had never even met and i fell inlove with her style and technique she made labor stress free my obgyn was always busy and never available at important times so with a midwife its more personal i am definatley using her again for this baby. plus there is usually always less intervantion.
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I loved delivering with a midwife. I didn't do drugs but I did a water birth and once I was in the water there was a HUGE difference in the pain. I refused to get out of the tub, actually lol. It was so awesome and my midwives rocked. I started the pregnancy with an OB and fired her at 28 weeks because she was very obviously not interested in MY plans for my birth at all. The only way I will ever birth with an OB is if I have a high-risk pregnancy. Otherwise, midwife all the way.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i used an ob first time, and this tme i have been seeing a midwife, and will se a widwife with any children after this one. there is no gaurantee she will be the one in for delivery, but i knew that from the start and thats ok w me.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I used an OB/GYN with my first child and I didn't really like the hospital lingo I received the whole time I was in labor. I felt rushed to have my son.
    With my second child, I had a midwife. And I was able to call the shots more and listen to my body. She let me push when I felt completely ready to. She was also more personal. She explained things a lot better than my previous OB/GYN did. I also had a faster recovery for some reason.
    I am using a Perinatologist with this child due to extremely high risk.. But would love another midwife.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010