How do I teach my German Shephard not to "nip" at my kids?

My dog nips at my kids. She doesn't "bite" them, but she's a herding dog so when they run and play she "herds" them! I want it to stop because to me, it looks agressive. What can I do?

TimandMely4ever

Asked by TimandMely4ever at 10:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pets

• You can try diversion tactics... when your kids are out playing and the dog starts to nip at them, divert her attention by calling her name and giving a firm "No Bite!" command. You can divert her attention with a something as simple as a soda can - put a few dry beans in the can, tape the top and shake it to get her attention and then tell her NO BITE! If she stops, praise her and/or give her a treat. If you are consistent and do this every time, she will learn to associate the sound of the beans shaking in the can with the command not to bite.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont know but if you find out please let me know! We have a pure bred German Shepard puppy, she's about 3 months, and she always does it to my dds. They are only 2yrs and 10 months so they dont like it too much. We've even considered getting rid of her because of it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• if neebugs idea doesn't work, then you may want to consider penning her up while the kids run around and play so she doesn't nip, or possibly getting rid of the dog to a different home.

Personally this is why I'm not a dog fan. I'm VERY paranoid about a dog biting my kid. I had a bad experience when I was a teen.. saw a rot turn on the owners 2 yo (the 2 yo lived with her grandparents) out of the blue on day. He ripped open her face, and even after surgery she's going to have permanent scarring. So ever since then I haven't been a fan of dogs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010