Christians-help

How do I "just believe" when I don't believe? Truly looking for answers here. It sounds so simple...but I just can't seem to do it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all in the heart. Read the Bible. Seek a Christian pastor or leader to help explain things to you. Pray for the Lord to open your heart. You can't "make" yourself believe. If you truly desire it though, God can help soften your heart and show you the way to Him.
    luvmyguyandgirl

Answer by luvmyguyandgirl at 11:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think faith is extremely personal. I believe its really important to follow your own heart/convictions. Do you really want to believe? I'm not trying to be rude or snarky, I promise - I'm just wondering. Is it that you want to believe and can't find it in you? Or are you being told you should believe? I believe that its important to follow the religious path before you, and if you really do want to believe I would recommend really thinking about faith and religion. I'd read about it, and talk to people about it. Its not like a light switch that you flick on or off, its like a muscle you have to develop. I also don't believe faith is something you can direct - its something you follow. In exercising your spiritual "muscle" you'll start to develop where you stand on things, and you'll grow from there. But it takes the time and effort to grow. Victor Hugo said "the spirit is a garden", and I really believe its true. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it's something you either feel ...or you don't. No one can make you feel it-and you can't force it, if it isn't there -it jsut isn't.
    Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. I think what really matters is living a good life-being kind, loving, respectful and forgiving whether or not you believe :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Pray for revelation. If you don't pray you wont be connected with God and you wont feel that He's real.
    Answer by NewLady77

And watch your faith further disintegrate when your prayers are not answered.
    Accept your disbelief and come into the light. We have cookies!
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think that it's something that we can make you understand through the computer screen. I think that if you truly want answers to this question, you should call religious leaders in your area and set up meetings with them. Call several of different denominations. I'm sure that they will all be more than happy to meet with you.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 10:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Even faith is a "gift" from God. Pray, read His Word, seek and you shall find.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• This is why their are so many paths and religions. Because there isn't just one that comes naturally to everyone. Explore what you DO believe and go from there... You can't make yourself believe if you don't. You can't just say, I'm going to believe this or that. You can only explore what you feel is truth and discover what you really believe...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Christians do tend to make it sound like belief is something you can just do through willpower, like walking up the stairs. But you can't. If you have a question or doubt about something, or it hasn't been proven to your satisfaction, you cannot have faith in it. You can't shut off your mind and go with what everyone else believes. You are an individual. This isn't your path. Accept it. I don't have cookies, but the donuts are pretty good!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You have to experience God for yourself. No one can do it for you. Seek and you shall find. Pray and ask for direction. You will find it! :) I'm happy you are looking!! :)
    MaryBethBest

Answer by MaryBethBest at 12:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If you don't know if you really believe I would suggest searching it out in your heart. Study it out and be honest with yourself. You might want to consider joining a Bible study group to help you search things out.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010