How do you wean a baby off a swaddle?

Our baby loves to be swaddled at night and we use the miracle blanket, but he wakes himself up in the middle of the night busting out of it, but can't fall asleep without it...any advice?! he is 12 1/2 weeks old.

Friedma22

Asked by Friedma22 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• leave him out of it during other times.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We used the Kiddopotamous Swaddling blanket for our son. It velcros shut.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Ive never heard of weaning them from swaddling, just that eventually they dont like it anymore. Maybe you could try a different swaddling blanket?
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughter moved around so much! After the first week she didn't want to be swaddled. She would cry because she couldn't move her arms and legs. We ended up buying her some of the sleep sacks that are available in most infant departments (babies r us, target, etc.) because I wanted her to be warm and it is recommended you not cover them with a blanket because of suffocation risk. There are some nice ones that are almost like a pair of overalls so if they fall asleep you don't wake them up trying to get their arms in the sleeves. Good Luck!
    Cheryl4424

Answer by Cheryl4424 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I ran into the same issue with my twins. They LOVED being swaddled (all the way up to 6 months!!!) but we started getting them used to not being by only doing chest down (arms were free). Then after awhile they were fine with not being swaddled.
    Danners

Answer by Danners at 1:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm a big fan of following your child's (behavoral) cues during a child's first years of life. So *I* don't get to decide when my child is done with a swaddle; my child decides that.
    Now my son, he slept swaddled every time he went to sleep for six months. Literally, the day he turned six months, he pitched a fit, refused to be swaddled, and slept on his tummy for another full year.
    My daughter did more or less the same thing, only she was about six weeks old at the time. She slept on her back for awhile after ditching the swaddle blanket but is now a tummy sleeper as well.
    When your baby wakes up trying to get out the swaddle, take it off. It's summer now; the swaddle may help him go to sleep but it probably gets too hot in the middle of the night. He'll let you know when he's ready to be done with it entirely. Trust that, and watch him. ;-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Just wait until he lets you know doesn't want to be swaddled anymore.
    kirstensmommie

Answer by kirstensmommie at 6:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• With my last baby I ended up using one of the hospital receiving blanket things. She's a chunk (born at 9 pounds and never stopped growing) but I was able to swaddle her until about 4 or 5 months when she started rolling and wanted to be free. I also remember using this really thin but long blanket I got as a baby shower gift. She was my only baby that LOVED being swaddled so it was all kinda new to me (she's my 3rd). I'd say to let them wean themselves. If they really like it, there is nothing wrong with it and they'll eventually grow out of it (once they start rolling).
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont think you do "wean" them from it. They just outgrow it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I weaned DS off the swaddle by transitioning into a sleep sack I got from www.babysleepbags.com. Even though it's not as tight as a swaddle, they still "wear" them and they maintain the sensation of being encapsulated in something. If you do buy a sleep sack, stay away from micro fleece because it can cause little ones to overheat, get sweaty and damp. Merino is best for baby because it can regulate body temperature natually and allows baby to sleep longer without waking up.
    mynaturalbaby

Answer by mynaturalbaby at 7:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010