What is your best Packing/ Moving advice?

We're moving intrastate and doing all of the packing/ cleaning on our own. INCLUDING cleaning carpets!

RutterMama

Asked by RutterMama at 11:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Don't move anything you haven't used in a year.give it to chairty.But not the sentimental things.Keep them.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Detailed labels on boxes! Wrap breakables in newspaper and then stuff the box with newspaper for extra padding.
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 11:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• don't start packing TOO soon. I'm moving in a month & my house is already full of boxes & now i have to deal with it for another month! It sucks...thought i was being all organized by getting it done early. Well, it's just been a pain in the ass!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• be sure to pack according to what you use/need when you first move in, so those boxes are easy to access and open and unpack FIRST.

don't forget to restock on cleaning supplies and food (some doesn't travel well, or may need to be replaced anyways)

I'd move first if possible and go back to clean.. if not then clean as you pack.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I used lables that you would use to address large envelopes then and a package of sharpies - color coded the lables for rooms so it was easy to see without really reading it. I moved from a ground floor apartmetn to a 3rd story apartment. I used the 2 wheel dolly to load up boxes on to (recomend using uhaul boxes they stack so nicely and break down to use again) and wheeled them to the stairs and had 3 people carrying them up to the apartment and placed inthe correct room. Made it easy to unpack with out moving alsorts of boxes from one room to another! GOOD LUCK
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Gues I should clarify the color code thing - Red marker meand Fragil - just listed onthere what was iin it. purple was my oldest room stuff - green was my toddlers room, blue was my room, green the kitchen. etc..... and an extra label with red X for fragil! cant miss that!!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've moved quote a few times. It's a great time to purge like the PP said.
    I also label EVERYTHING. If for some reason you have more than one like item in a box then i write the contents of the box on the sides. NOT the top cause you tend to stack boxes.
    I also make sure the laundry is done before I move and a couple of sets of clothes are packed in a suitcase since the first few days are always chaotic at least you know you have clean stuff to wear...while you get settled in.
    Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 11:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Pack each room together. Like make sure all the kitchen items are in boxes clearly marked "Kitchen". All the living room things are in boxes marked "LIving room". It will help you out soo much when you move in to be able to put all the boxes in the room they go in. Then just unpack one room at a time. Wait to clean until after everything is put into the truck. Don't do it as you go. When the house is empty then start cleaning. It will make it soo much easier.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Keep a box of cleaning supplies handy, ie, pack it last so it is first to go off the truck. Put some bath paper in there and liquid hand soap and paper towels. You'll appreciate all that when you get to where you're going.
    Good luck to you! :)
    MaryBethBest

Answer by MaryBethBest at 11:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks so much everyone! We are moving next week (Wednesday) and I am separating everything as we go. We also had a yard sale 2 weeks ago and what didn't sell went to good will along with some other things. We are also labeling every box with a number, and have a detailed list as to what is in each box.

Keep the suggestions coming! I need them for sure!!
    RutterMama

Comment by RutterMama (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010