Would you leave your sick infant with a caregiver?

I sit for my cousins infant son for a small fee. Yesterday he got his 4 months shot. The dad dropped him off this morning saying he had hardly eaten and was 'out of it'. He left, I picked the baby up and realized he had a fever and his leg was a little swollen. Left a message for my cousin and have been trying to get the fever down and get him to eat.
She calls, and says 'well, thats normal right? '

My question is-would you come get your child or just let the sitter handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The swollen leg and fever can be normal reactions to immunizations but I still would not have left my daughter and if her caregiver had called me with this info I would have come and gotten her. Maybe because you are family she felt comfortable leaving her child in your care. Family or not, I would have been there for my daughter. I am a working mom and try to schedule my daughters ( 15 months) immunizations for a Friday so that I can be with her for the next 2 days so that if she does have any reaction to her shots I can be there no matter what. Maybe you should suggest this for the childs next round of shots.
    Cheryl4424

Answer by Cheryl4424 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I never take my DD to daycare if she is ill. My DCP doesn't even allow attendance if the child has a fever. I have left DD with my mom or dad when she has been a bit ill, for they offered so I wouldn't miss work. I trust my parents, so I was fine with it. Usually she's just home with me if sick.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It sounds like a reaction from the shots. As long as I was sure that's all it was, Yes, I would leave them. I have an exceptional daycare and they work well with me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i would hate to be faced with that kind of decision. it must be hard enough to be a working mom, but to be working when your lo needs you? i am a sahm, and i don't get my kids vaccinated. when they are under the weather, i stay with them. i breast feed too, so no one can provide comfort better than i can.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• This is her cousin she is trusting with her child ladies. It isn't some random daycare provider, it is a family member. If they have to work and it is just shots what does it matter. She obviously feels comfortable with her cousin's ability to take care of her child and that is what matters.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I probably would have never taken my sick child to the sitter in the first place, but that is just me.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• honestly if my child was sick i would stay home with her. i could not fathom leaving her.
    Prayingforbaby1

Answer by Prayingforbaby1 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Absolutely not. My son is 9 months old and has never been with a babysitter or in a day care, even when he's healthy. If he were sick, there would be no way I would leave him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well, if she had to work to provide for her child what choice does she have? As long as it wasn't a contagious sickness such as a cold. He got his shots and that's normal for a baby to have a fever after shots especially at 4 mos. I don't agree with leaving kids with germ spreading sicknesses. But He just had a fever b/c of the shots.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well, I can't imagine leaving a child that young to go to work at all, thank goodness I'm Canadian and get a year of mat leave. Now I have taken my sick kids to my care provider, but my care provider is my mil. If it's something mild they'll go to Granny's so I don't have to miss work, but if it's more serious I do stay home with them. It really all depends on how they are feeling, symptoms, etc. Plus they and Granny know that I'm only a phone call and a 5 minute drive away and I have really understanding bosses, so leaving work is never an issue.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2010