Children pushing religion on others ... Need suggestions...

My grandson was hassled (and I call it that) from several classmates regarding religion over the last school yr. It got bad to the point my grandson sat with me and asked me what I believed in, I told him and asked him why, he showed me the flyers that these girls were giving him and telling me that they tell him that he "Can't be saved or anything if he isn't saved" and to go to their church etc...etc.. well that alone set me off and dh (who is a Christian) so I told him to tell them that next time they approach him to tell them thanks but no thanks my grandparents will teach me what I need to know about religion. It did stop... but he had nightmares, he told me he has no interest at all about Church and never wants to go into one if ppl act like them in there... he wants to learn more about my beliefs (Pagan/Wiccan)...
So what we have done is started teaching him a bit of everything... how others see things as well
(cont)

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The snarky part of me would invite them to Circle...

But the realistic part of me would talk to the school.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If it comes to it, contact the parents and make a deal! You may also want to write a letter to the PTA or school board about the issue. I know it sounds like a big thing to do. BUT, when it comes to Religion and your kids (or grandkids in this case) it IS a big deal...

From experience, I do feel it's important to bring the teachers on to your team so to speak. Help them to understand that these issues DO happen and that you have different beliefs... Although none of our teachers were JW, or even agreed with it, they were always more than happy to keep the drama at bay, simply because they didn't want to deal with my mother, but education works!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Make a note of all this - keep the packaging with the postmark, write down whoever you talk to. It is very likely this will turn into a pattern of abuse before you can figure out who is doing it (and it's a 50/50 shot the parents will agree it's inappropriate - for all you know the parents paid the postage). If it comes down to having to involve the police or even getting a restraining order (extreme but it may be the only way), you'll want a record of every incident. When the first harassment at school started, was the school ever involved so there's a record of it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• that's crazy....and creepy!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dealt with a lot of that when I was in elem. school because my mother was raising us JW and so many of the other parents were very against it. I'm sure I'll deal with it when my kids start school. The first thing I would do is approach his teacher, I plan on doing this every year anyways. When I was a kid the JWs had a "magazine" they had put together to help the teachers understand their beliefs and how it affects their kids daily lives (No Holidays, No Birthdays & Why). I would like to put together something similar for my kids teachers. I feel it could help them to understand what our beliefs are and why and could then help them to defend my child when other students or parents try this kind of thing.

Beyond something like that I would approach the principal and let him know there is an issue. NO religious group is allowed to push their beliefs in a school and explain you want something done about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would definitely contact both the school and the parents. As a Christian, I see this sort of aggressive behavior unacceptable and damaging to Christians as a whole. The parents need to be involved in this, because they are most likely the ones allowing this to go on. And the teachers and principal and any other school officials need to be made aware of this so they can stop it while on school grounds. That borders on bullying, and most schools now have very strict policies about that. If it continues, I would make the parents aware that you consider uninvited mail/flyers/etc harassment as it is causing your grandson stress, and as such you are willing to take further measures to stop it if they are unwilling to help. That's just me, though.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would do what you did. Just explain that people believe different things and that it is ok to do so.
    DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 11:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• sounds like the right thing to do- tell him what others believe and different stories and whatnot. kids can be so brutal and mean and then you throw God into it and ...bleh
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would first go to the school principal and then the police if the school doesn't co-operate.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would be heading to the school too. These kids might think they're doing good but they're just bullying him. You might need to talk to the parents too, get them involved.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010