Is there a part of me that is still in denile?

my three yr old getting a bunch of testing done, I know in my heart she has autism
why I am dreading the day that all these professionals make it official

how can I prepare for the news that I know is coming

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• you're not in denial you just love your dd.

you'll love her the same and your relationship with her will be the same wether you have that piece of paper or not. if anything the paper will help you make her quality of life better.

fins an autism support group on her and talk with other mothers who have been through the same thing. what you're feeling is normal.

best of luck to you.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 10:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you know in your heart, then that isn't denial, it just means you're not looking foward to an official diagnosis. I know what that feels like though. My son was tested for autism and he failed the test. I was so relieved, but I understand that feeling of totally dreading the outcome.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm sure you know this, but even with the diagonsis she is still your SAME child. Even if she has autism, she's the same DD that she was before she had the diagnosis. If it makes you feel better, cry and get it all out. If you want to, seek out a support group in your area for parents of children like yours. It will be okay!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You aren't in denial, you said you know what the outcome will be--you fear the loss of hope that autism won't be the diagnosis. I understand. I was there 8 years ago. I knew that is what they were going to tell me, but while I hoped for the best, I expected the worst. There is a great story that I would like to share with you. I share it was all parents of newly diagnosed. Please read it. You are just starting a different journey then the one you expected. It's not an easy ride, but it's rewarding and interesting. Like a previous poster said, It will not make you love her any less, she still will be who she always has been.  You will now know what you are facing.

Please read this link, I hope it helps.

http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• This diagnosis will not make you love her any less.and this diagnosis is no limitation to what she can accomplish.Just ask her to try her best at all she does.But I do suggest that you join some kind of support group.so you can have someone who truely understands how you feel.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It will be OK. Growing up a good friend of mine's brother was autistic. He would not talk about anything but planes and comic books. Well their mom who was a single mom by the way got every book she could about planes and every comic book he liked and read them all. She was one of the best moms I ever met. She just loved her no matter what! If she likes something learn everything you can about it. YOu know I know someone who;s DD has autism and she's going into the 2nd grade next year. She was just in the school play. She worked with her and got her out a little bit. When she was first diagnosed she wouldn't talk wouldn't look at you etc etc the only one who could een touch her was her mom and just 1 month ago she was on stage in her school play. Anything is possible! This is not a life sentence this is a life full of wonder and amazment! It will be hard I don't know what it's like to deal with a child with autism.CONT
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• CONT...but I do know that all children are specail and all children are here to teach us something. She came to you this way for a reason and just know that you have to learn from her. I bet you will do fine Momma hang in there!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You got to face the possibility and if it is not hooray and if it is when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade, best wishes!

Answer by older at 11:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I felt like that with my son. Once we got the actual diagnosis I actually felt relief though. Like FINALLY we know what the issue is and we can do something about it kwim? Have you joined any autism support groups on CM or in real life? I strongly recommend you do, they can be a huge help and place for advice
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010