how to tell a 3y/o her friend died

we found out this morning that my 3y/o dd's friend bella passed away in the hospital this morning. dd and bella had been friends since their birth. they did everything together. they were really like sisters. and now i have to tell her bella is flying with the angels

Prayingforbaby1

Asked by Prayingforbaby1 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow. What a tragedy. I couldn't imagine losing my 3 year old daughter, My prayers are being sent up for this family. I would just suggest being straight with your daughter. But also tell her that she is looking down from heaven and will be waiting for her someday.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I really don't have any advice - just hugs momma.......
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• OH, im so sorry. A 3 year-old doesn't understand death. We are still dealing with my 5 year-old in telling him his Uncle Eric passed away. We told him that Eric went to go be with God. He understands that I guess. If you don't believe in God, then I'm sorry I can't help you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Tell her what happened and ask if she or he has any questions about it.and answer them on their age level.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Things like that are really hard to explain to little ones who don't fully understand death. But I would tell her that she is an angel now looking down on her. Has she been told about any other deaths? Does she know about angels and such? If she does I would tell her she is with who ever else you have known that has past on. Tell her she is in heaven...etc. It will be hard but you'll have to tell her something. Also, I'm really sorry for your daughter's loss.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am so sorry for that little girl and her parents, how tragic such a young life. Tell her she is an angel in heaven with God.

Answer by older at 11:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We tell our DD that people went to go be with Jesus (angels, God - whichever). I don't think that she fully gets it yet...but one day she will. I'm so sorry for your (and your daughter's) loss.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• we do believe in god. i've worked hard in teaching dd about him and all his wonder
    Prayingforbaby1

Comment by Prayingforbaby1 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• :( I really don't have any advice, I just wanted to offer you my support. That's such a tragedy, and I'll pray for you and your daughter, as well as the family of Bella.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think you said it right, she is flying with the angels, she will always be with you, in your heart.
    i am so sorry for your loss.
    children have a really great way of coping with things like this usually.
    maybe you could create a memory book together?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010