How to deal with a crazy MIL?

My SO's mom really is a crazy woman. She is bipolar and has manic depression. But she uses it to try and get away with saying and doing things all the time. She calls 10+ times a day. She is always in our business. She tries to tell us how to run our lives and how to take care of my son. She asks way too many questions, and she goes out of her way to look for a fight. Yesterday she called for the 4th time and I was talking to her being as nice as I could be, and she started talking about a house that was for sale and how it was separated into 2 apartments(kinda like a duplex but on top of each other) anyway she was saying how we could buy it and all live there together, I responded with "No, it would be awful there would always be a fight and argument going." This was just my honest opinion and it is the truth. Well she hung up on me and waited for SO to get home from work and called and told him how mean I was to her and Cont

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• You smile and nod!

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Wow I would have a long discusiion with my hubby about HIS crazy mother!!! I would not talk to her and let him deal with her. i have too much of my own sh** going on without some psycho daisy may buttin in!!!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i agree with both pp's
    Prayingforbaby1

Answer by Prayingforbaby1 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• and went and put on her myspace status " I don't know why you think I am such a horrible person." mood:shocked/hurt. Now she is sending me messages on there trying to keep a fight going. Usually I would just let it go, but I have been dealing with this same sort of thing for the last 4 years. I am so sick of it, I want to tell her to f*** off and just leave me alone. But I know that it will make things harder for SO. She has already brung him into it. And now she is mad at him for "taking my side" But that isn't what it is. He doesn't want to live near her either. He live 7 miles away tight now and still get hell at least once a week. It would be so much worse if we lived in the same building. I don't know what to do. I want to tell her to leave me alone and quit bringing her childish arguments my way. What can I do without having to go down to her level to get her to leave me alone? Please help ladies she is making me crazy.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Have the answering machine pick up and only talk to her once or twice a day. You can explain that you were in the middle of something if she asks. Weigh every word that you use.

Answer by Bmat at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• She cant blame Her acting like thet from being bi polar!Thats what Her medication is for..I just wouldnt answer any of Her calls until She can grow up!
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Grow up? From2to3, it's not a matter of growing up. They can't help what the disorder does to them.

Just let your dh handle it. Those is us with disorders usually have an adult child who knows how to smooth things over. She took your words as a personal rejection. Think about how you feel when you think someone rejected you. Now magnify it 100 times and maybe you can understand how she felt. She reacted to the perceived rejection.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010