Should I completely stop baby food now?

My son is turning 1 in a few weeks. A coworker of mine had her little girl 2 weeks before me, just had her little girl's party. She asked me if my son was still taking baby food, and I said yeah, the majority is, but he is drinking milk out of a sippy now and takes some reg foods (carrots, bananas, cheerios, etc).... and she seems shocked he was still on baby food, and I kinda felt like I was being looked down upon.

Should I stop with the baby food now? He's doing great with regular food. It's hard to make the transition when we never sit down for dinner together because I work shift work (Yuck!).

Any suggestions... no bashing please, just want some advise

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started feeding my son cereal at 2 months(diluted).At 4-5 months he was eating soft table food.He was a big eater and was always hungry.It never hurt him.He was a healthy child.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I say whenever he is ready for table food... all kids are different =)
    mommymaldonado1

Answer by mommymaldonado1 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would say start giving him more foods that are chunkier vs baby food. Are you talking about food like in the Gerber Jars or what baby food are you talking about? I started giving my daughter like chicken and other foods when she turned 1, but it's really up to you.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Mine was on full real food at 6 months. He refused to eat the jar crap. By 9.5 months, he could hold and eat a kids burger. So, I say, yes, stop buying the jar mess and give him small bites of real veggies and whatever food you eat. He is old enough to eat it. Just start out a little slow until he is accustomed to the new texture.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think that it's up to you...how bout starting on the graduate foods instead. Since it sounds like you have time constraint issues, this would be a good option other than cooking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We rarely did jar food anyway, but we did mash/puree food for her. At her 9 month appointment her pediatrician said less baby food, more table food now. So she mostly just gets table food. She's 10 months now. There are still some foods she has a problem eating that cause her to gag and sometimes throw up. Mostly foods with somewhat of a skin, like green beans. She just doesn't chew them up enough. We are pretty lax about giving her solids, though. If we're running around all day, then she may only get solids at one meal or not at all. She only gets solids at lunch and dinner right now, though. So I would suggest giving more table foods at the meals where you are home. Who is with him at dinner? Is Dad in the picture? Then he can give table foods for dinner. If not, then I would just cut up pieces of cooked veggies, cheese, etc. and take along to whoever babysits.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We never used jarred foods, just mashed up whatever fruits and vegetables we were eating. As time went on, we mashed less...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If hes douing great with table foods and gets a wide variety of them thamn he should be fine. If you do not think hes ready, it will not hurt him to keep getting the jar food. My son was off jar food at 7 months cause he wouldnt eat it. But i have a friend thats daughter is almost 14 months and she still eats it. It depends on each kid. When they are ready. :) Good luck mama, and do what you think is best :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We've never used jar food or ceral. just regular table food. Baby food is nothing more than table food that has been overcooked, pureed and strained. No baby needs baby food. You don't have to be "ready" to switch, it is not a transition. My baby has been eating table food since 7 1/2 months when she started solids. We never pureed, though we did mash some things with a fork for a month. She has tried every thin from asparagus to kiwi. Your baby should have a good pincer grip for self feeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• some kids aren't ready for table foods until later but it sounds like your child is. i know my nephew is 1 (today yay!) and he still eats some purees. also my brother ate purees for a lot longer than my son did. wholesometoddlerfood.com has some great ideas for starting out feeding regular foods when you think your child is ready.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010