Rapid heartrate during pregnancy while resting?

Last night I was lying in bed watching TV and messing with my cell. I was comfortable just minding my own business when all of a sudden my heart starts beating super fast and it felt as if it was going to jump out of my chest and I could feel it in my throat. It lasted for about 5 mins I would say I got up drank water and sat up instead of laying down like I had been. I haven't had this happen to me before not even with my first daughter. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I get it too but only when I'm on my back. I didn't get it with my daughter, with my first pregnancy. This one, however, I'm 18wks now it started when I was 15 wks when I lay on my back on the couch especially even with my head propped up a little it feels like my heart is trying to come out my throat. From what I was told it's due to the fact the uterus is on a nerve when you lay on your back which cuts off the circulation to a that nerve which causes your heart to beat faster than normal and causes shortness of breath and can cause you to faint. Every once in a while I lay on my back by accident during the night and get that. I was told if I was going to do anything do it sitting up propped up with pillows and if I were going to lay down to do anything it should be on my side. It's just your baby playing around in there I don't think it's something to worry about or at least my doc didn't my blood pressure was fine.
    MrsMorton080508

Answer by MrsMorton080508 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Never happend to me, but it's something that you want to call your OB about.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• could be your blood pressue.If it is, you need to tell your ob/gyn
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hmm see it only happend to me last night and hasn't happened since. If it happens again I will call them, I have my appt this Tuesday already.
    cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I gt that alot. My doctor said it's common in pregnancy. You can mention it to you doctor, but it is a common thing. I got it with all 3 of my pregnancies. I am so tired right now though and can't remember what he said it was exactly.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughter is still pretty active that is why I am not too concerned you know. I didn't feel a shortness of breath either just my heart ha it was pretty crazy. My blood pressure has been pretty normal when I go for my visits but we will see how it goes for me! I am 23 weeks 3 days along so far.

cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It might be SVT which is made worse with pregnancy, I had to go to the ER when I was pg with my first because my heart rate got up to 300bpm for over an hour. Ask your doctor about SVT, you'll want to monitor it if you have it.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010