I your child is autistic...

at what age did you start noticing signs? What were they?

I'm not asking this for personal reasons necessarily, just out of curiosity. Also I'd like to be aware just in case my son ever does start showing signs...though I'm sure I would notice even the slightest change, considering I'm with him 24/7, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My oldest is on the spectrum with Aspergers. My son's teacher says "when you have met one Autistic person you have met ONE person" meaning it is not a cookie cutter disorder where everyone is the same. Autism is a big broad spectrum and what my child does yours may/may not do. What first caught my attention (he was around 2 at the time) was he would line EVERYTHING up! His toys, the spice jars, paper towel rolls- and heaven help us if we moved them or changed the order! He had to have a routine, and would have a meltdown if he was not given enough time or notice to transition from 1 thing to the next, he did not really play with toys at all, he was not social... he has sensory issues to clothing, light, sound, food textures (although that he seems to be ok with now).... I would google search Autism signs and see if you get any websites that can tell you some of the 'red flags' to look for.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• That's supposed to be IF* your child is autistic. Omg, I'm insane with the typos today! Ugh.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is possible to see the signs of ASD even in infancy. Although, it's not likely you will get a diagnosis for it that early in life.
    Most people start to notice their childrens signs at around the age of 2 due to lack of speech or improper speech skills. But there are other things to look at too. Such as lack of eye contact. EXTREMELY picky eater. Colic or excessive fussiness. Extra sensitive to touch, light or sound. Unconventional use of toys (such as never "reading" a book, instead always fanning the book) etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son's autism diagnosis is secondary to his mitochondrial disorder, so there were quite a few red flags from birth that something wasn't quite right, but he didn't start showing definitive signs of autism until he was about 20 months old. That's when he stopped talking (previously spoke in full sentences), started the insane tantrums, started lining up toys & heaven forbid you moved one of them, became a super picky eater, etc.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son is being screened for autism. Has been since he was 18 months and he is 25 months now.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010