any words of encouragement or quotes for a mom with a "special" needs child

my daughter will have autism when all the testing is done
some days I am stronger than others
today is a low strength day- three different testing therapists coming to my home

need some words, quotes, advice to refer to when I need an extra boost

*****you do not need a "special" needs child to answer, wisdom comes from all*****

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 11:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I work with special needs children....I know its hard! BUT the rewards are great. When times are tough think of the little milestones, achievements, happy moments. Better yet...keep a small notebook and write only these things down, then refer to them when your blue!

Plus, there are a TON of great therapies now. Autism is not hopeless...it is not the end of the world. Sure it is stressful, and difficult, but you will make it through. I have seen children really work to overcome some aspects of Autism. Keep hopeful and dilligent. THe Lord is amazing and he will guide you and protect you!!!!! Today may be tough, but know that each perosn that enters your home may be the one to help your daughter! You never know who will help the most!!!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Regardless of the problems a kid has, she is still YOUR kid. The same kid even if there are outside scars or inside changes. There is nothing in this world harder than watching your kid suffer knowing you can't do a thing to change or help what they're going through.
    Just remember that you have a very brave little big girl. A very special girl.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Diagnosis can be hard, just hearing "autism", but understand that labels don't change who your child is. She's still the same person she was before you were able to call it anything. Sometimes just having that word makes you feel helpless, but she hasn't changed. If anything, you can view it as a step in the right direction because now she will be able to get the extra support and help she needs. In a lot of ways, it's going to be harder on you than it will be on her, because you will always be working to do the most you can for her. It can be a real struggle to get autistic kids the help they need. Also don't get discouraged if one thing or another doesn't help. Autism doesn't have a one-size-fits-all treatment. Some things may help tremendously, and some might not make a difference. Just keep going. I swear it will get easier as you go.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010