Why do people answer questions on here?

Why do you people answer questions on here? Is it simply for the points? I recently discovered this website and didn't know anything about points until I thoughtfully answered someones questions last night and something popped up on my screen saying congrats you are a freshman. I had no idea this was just a game. Today I have read questions about i'm answering but not receiving my points. I thought this site was so other mom's could support and help out other moms. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I'm disappointed with this new system too. I have been on here almost every day for a year, before there was an "incentive" for answering. I never needed points, I was just trying to help people out. Now it's all a big competition.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The answer section changed yesterday morning. It didn't used to be like a college game.
    It is still for support and advice. They just made some changes to this section.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Prior to the point system, it was more altruistic. I will be spending less time here...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I feel a little better knowing it's brand new. :) But I still dont' like it.
    CLewis1226

Comment by CLewis1226 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is, but, they just implemented this new system and some moms are enjoying it as well as answering questions. This can be fun as well as informational. Since it was only started yesterday, we are trying to get used to it. And some mom's are strictly trying to earn back the right to answer anonymously.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Depends on the question really. Some are just fun to answer, some I know a good response to (like how-to questions, fact questions, etc) and some (like this one) I think I can give a good opinion to. But I also like reading the other answers because I sometimes learn something new.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2010