Which works better.. life jackets for kids or the arm "floaties"

munchkinaplenty

Asked by munchkinaplenty at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• water wings. they help the child learn balance. life jackets are better for in lakes and things.

rkoloms...Why can't she teach her own kid how to swim? Swim classes are extremely expensive and not everyone can afford them. I taught all my kids to swim by age 3 and my 17 month old wears water wings and kicks her legs in the pool while I am beside her she will be swimming by 2 1/2 if not earlier.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• For actual life saving protection or for playing around in a pool just learning to swim?

For real protection: Life Jacket
    For playing in shallow water and for the first day of learning how to swim: Floaties
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Water wings are very dangerous!

Unless you are an experience swim teacher, please get your child in a Red Cross class

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I prefer life jackets personally I feel like they are more secure. I also feel like with the arm floaties the tend to lean forward a bit too much unless they are a bit older
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• for playing around in the pool and learning to swim
    munchkinaplenty

Comment by munchkinaplenty (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Go with floaties.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i tried a jacket on my son once, and it made him float face down in the water! we use nothing now. the inflatable floaties work well, i just have a fear of the child becoming dependent on them and taking risks that they should not take. i don't want them to think that they can swim when they can not.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010