Would having a gay youth come out of the closet be a problem in your family?

Would it be a taboo subject not talked about or would you announce it to family members of the coming out to make sure of acceptance.

Asked by older at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Nope. If it were my child, and someone had a problem with it....fine, don't interact my my family anymore then. I wouldn't bring my son around anyone in our family who would judge him or make him feel bad about himself. If they treated my son badly, that's where I draw the line. I have no problem saying goodbye to aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. who would ever put down my child. Maybe that's wrong of me, and maybe I should value extended family more, but my son comes first. As for my parents and brother, it would never be an issue because we're all extremely close and we all agree that we'd love my son unconditionally and regardless of his sexual orientation. I hope for his sake that he's not gay, so that he doesn't have to endure the prejudices of others, but if he ever was, I'd support him and love him the same as I would if he was straight. When I say that I love my son unconditionally, I mean it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not in my family lol. I think gay runs in our family I have 5 gay cousins 4 guys and 1 girl. So my family is accepting of them and we are just all waiting around to see who else comes out of the closet. Peter my cousin came out to everyone when he was 11 so that was pretty young. It was like what omg no way he is still so young has he even kissed a girl type of reaction. But then eventually we all just gave up the idea that he was confused and knew this is what he wanted.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It would not be a problem to me or my side of the family, but it would be a problem to my IL's. I would expect everyone in the family to be accepting, otherwise they really wouldn't need to be around me or my children, if they can't accept something like that.
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, my grandson did and we're ok with it

Answer by admckenzie at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My dad is gay and we call his partner daddy too. My sister is head over heels for a wonderful, sweet, and intelligent woman. I am bisexual. I seriously doubt it would be an issue *grins*
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It wouldn't be a problem for me or my husband, no. I actually believe, with having a best friend who is gay, that it would be rather hypocritical of me to say my children have to be straight, lol. ;)
    My in laws would flip, though, (I've actually had this conversation with my MIL and her argument was "but the Bible says") and I'm not sure how my parents would react, but all I care about is that my child grows up to be a respectful, compassionate person, and that he ends up with someone who loves him and treats him well, who fulfills him and encourages him to be the best he can be. Whether that person is male or female doesn't matter to me. Its the quality of the relationship that I care about, not the "kind". I'd consider him blessed to find anyone who can give him what I wish for him, regardless if he finds it in a hetero or homosexual relationship. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not in my immediate family, but it may in the extended family. Most of them are uncomfortable around gay people and think it is just a sick choice.
    It wouldn't change the way I looked at a person though.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it would be at first but then they'll wrap their head around it and get over it. No one has came out in my family..yet lol
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• for myself, not at all. dh might be a little freaked out, but not sure since his mother came out of the closet 20 years ago, but she lives far away and he tried not to think about it for years. Our 16 yo ds told me he thinks he may be bisexual because he feels attracted to guys sometimes, I told him whatever works for him... he did ask that I not tell his dad because he doesn't know for a fact yet. (personally, I don't think he's really bi, I asked who he had a crush on and he said Robert Downey Jr., I started laughing and said "who doesn't"?)

however, I don't think I'd "announce" it, like it was a big milestone. It is actually someone's private and personal decision. Let the family keep guessing. They'll figure it out eventually.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes. Sadly. Not with my husband or I, or one of his sisters and her husband but with other relatives on his side. His brother and sister-in-law wouldn't be accepting of that idea at all.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010