Around what age do kids move from a convertible carseat to a booster carseat?

I have no idea how long I should expect to keep my kids in their convertible carseats. I don't want them to suddenly outgrow them before I have a chance to figure out what type of booster seats we need. I know there are height and weight limits to consider, but around what age did you move your kids into a booster carseat? What type of booster did you get? Do you like it?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Child Safety Techs recomend that children be at least 4 years old and at least 40lbs. before moving to a belt positioning booster seat, and that it is best to wait until the child is mature enough to sit properly 100% of the time.

My oldest was four and a half and 40lbs when we moved him to the Graco Turbobooster. It is a good, yet inexpensive seat. My second child hit 40lbs. at only 3yrs. old so we bought him a seat that would harness him until 65lbs. He stayed in that until he was six years old, and then switched to a booster.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Check your state laws. In CA where I live, the child MUST be 4 years old AND 40lbs...but My 5 year old is dinky, and she's in a Graco Natulis and can stay harnessed until 65lbs (which is safer).

However...I wasn't so car seat smart when my oldest was younger, and she was in a booster at 3 (and I thank God every day we never got into an accident.) She's always been in a Graco Turbo Booster...the High Back kind. She's 7 now and still in it. I love it - super easy to deal with, and she loves the cool print on it.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• well it de4pends if you plan on extended rear facing, also the type of seat you have, for example i have the myride 65 for my kids, it rearfaces up to 40lbs and forwarfaces up to 65 lbs. both my 3 1/2 yr old and my 1 1/2 year old are still rearfcaing. and i plan to use the seat to its maximun weight limit both ways. i will not put my kids in a booster till they are at least 6 yrs old maybe 7. depends on how much they weigh.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I moved my girl to a booster when she was about 3. But, she's always been kind of big for her age. We took the back off somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4 years. The seatbelt fell perfectly across her chest where it was supposed to so we didn't see a need for the back part of the booster. Now, she's 5 1/2 and sits in the same backless booster.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You need to check with your state law. Or call your fire department to find out. I changed my daughter to a booster seat at the age of 2 and a half. She wouldn't stay in her convertable carseat anymore. And she sat still and stayed buckled up in the booster.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Totally depends on the kid (besides laws). If you are going by weight...my kids were each different. My oldest daughter is tiny and was in her toddler seat until she was 6 then in a 5pt harness booster until she was 7. That's when she hit 40lbs and moved into a regular booster.
    My son went into the 5pt booster at 2 and was in a regular booster at 3 1/2 (I know--before the age thing, that was a long time ago and he was already 45lbs).
    My middle daughter didn't get into a regular booster until she was 5 1/2. My youngest daughter is 4 and only 32lbs. She has a booster with a 5pt harness and will be in that for awhile. Heck my oldest is 10 and only 45lbs and is still in a booster.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010