Do you think TLC is a curse for reality show families?

I've been catching up on episodes of Little People, Big World that I have DVR'd and the relationship between Matt & Amy (Roloff) seems to becoming more and more strained as the episodes go on. DH said that in the previews after the last episode he watched, they were putting the house up for sale.

Well, Jon & Kate broke up and the Teutels (American Chopper) had a falling out and their show ended. I admit I don't watch the other shows on TLC (except Mythbusters occasionally) so I don't know if it's just a few shows that get affected or if there are other families having trouble too. What do you think? Could the Duggars be next?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Entertainment

• I think that any atmosphere in which you are in front of a camera all the freaking time is a death knell for relationships. It's not a normal way of life and things get magnified. Little spats that would have been nothing are now immortalized on film any time you want to remember them. People who have nothing to do with your family suddenly know far too much about the inner workings of your relationships. How many times have you had an argument with your husband or significant other or a family member and then made up and ended up pretty much forgetting what the fight was even about? These people don't get that luxury, they've got the paparazzi repeating the moments over and over, commercials showing the tense moments to raise interest, everyone and their brother writing in with their opinions. What kind of life is that, really? Even Hollywood starts keep some things private--reality stars don't get that privilege.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think a lot of reality shows bring out problems in families, maybe it's the pressure, maybe the public criticism, I don't know.
    MommyToTwo0408

Answer by MommyToTwo0408 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think its all reality shows... john and kate, nick and jessica, the hogans (they were married for a long time) , travis barker and his wife spit after a few seasons on mtv.. its what happens when people are willing to put out all their dirty laundry for money.....
    staceybear23

Answer by staceybear23 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Lmao,explotation puts a curse on a lot of things,but when youre getting money,all that doesnt matter right?
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• mythbusters is on discovery channel!!!! but back to tlc...the same happened to la ink. After many interviews, Kat (the owner of the shop) pretty much admitted most of the drama is enforced by the producers. they hired actors to increase drama ratings, plus they edit so much out of the tapings to make it seem like there is nothing but drama. So a lot of what they show on the family reality shows is cut and pasted and they probably do multiple takes for the previews and actual show. Notice how sometimes what you see in the previews isnt even on the episode?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• but even if things are edited or enforced by the producers, surely being in front of the camera all day throughout the week can put a strain on relationships! there is no privacy, and any little quarrel is caught on film, and soon the viewers choose sides, tabloids get involved...I would never be part of a reality show
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think TLC is solely to blame - the families make a choice to sign the contract. But putting any family under that much scrutiny for that long would eventually test any relationship. And when Serious problems do arise, I think it's the networks moral responsibility to turn the cameras off. To my point: I saw an ep of MTV's 16 & Preg with a girl driving 2 infants strapped in car seats but the seats were loose in the back seat - no base, no belt, nothing (I was horrified). I know these networks claim they want to capture "un-interrupted/scripted/edited reality" in all it's grit (which is laughable) but at some point they need to close the wallet and step away (or in the case of MTV, Educate! and not film under unsafe conditions).
    V.Dubbya

Answer by V.Dubbya at 1:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I honestly think that any reality show that exposes intimate or family situations for the most part heads down the drain. I remember seeing Nick and Jessica's Newlyweds and just loving that show I really liked them both as a couple and then look what happened. I think sometimes they reflect back on they things they say or do on camera and realize that the perfect life isn't so perfect and then it's too late to fix it. Same thing with Hulks show, I am glad that the Osborns decided to stop when they did, I really admire them even as wacky as they may be to others.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think whoring out your family is a curse for a family. The medium doesn't really matter.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• LOL .... It would seem so!
    Serenity75

Answer by Serenity75 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010