Is there a way to make him understand?

My 11 year old autistic son just told me that his dad plays Grand Theft Auto in front out our very impressionable child. I've talked to him before about the importance of modeling appropriate behavior, as well as not watching violent or inappropriate movies or play violent or inappropriate video games as our son will later mimic that behavior and repeat what he hears. I am at a loss anymore as to how to get him to understand!

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tough call, I guess some stronger boundaries need to be set. Is it an option to suggest supervised visits if he can't respect your wishes? I know in some cases, that isn't possible...Are you around when he's playing? Is there a way you can just take notice and pull your son's attention elsewhere should his dad pick that game up and play it (Which BTW I'm so with you, that game is AWFUL)
    Also talk to your son about the game, I know in my home I can't always control the games dad plays. He's plays those ugly games too. I do strongly suggest it doesn't happen but at times it does. However it's been explained to both of my kids these games aren't age appropriate so if they see it on they leave the room and go find something to do in thier rooms....Maybe you can talk to your son and see if he'd be willing to do something like that? Good luck...
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 12:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Research the effects of media violence on people. I know there have been some studies on it. Find them, print them out and hand them too him. Explain that if media violence can have so a horrific effect on full grown typically developing adults then it is likely the effects are even more devastating for an atypical preadolescence child.

that's the only thing i can think of. i doubt it will change anything but i can hope for you! good luck
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2010