How do you babyproof a computer

We have a computer stand and all the wires are hanging everywhere. My dd is about to become a crawler. I need help asap. I don't have a lot of money either, so I can't just go out and buy a new desk.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get zip ties. They're pretty inexpensive, and you can tie up all the loose computer wires so they're not hanging all over the place. They also sell these covers for them (I apologize as I have NO idea where to get them...probably a computer store) so that baby, or even animals can't chew on the wires.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have my desk in a corner and the wires tucked between the desk and the walls. It doesn't stop the cats from getting in there, though, and chewing. I have those wire covers from the computer store, but I still have wires uncovered. I'd say don't let the baby into the office when you aren't in there.

Answer by Bmat at 12:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There are items you can buy specifically for this. Here is one thing you can buy.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Bread ties and toilet paper/papertowel/wrapping paper tubes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Good question...i would like to see some ideas for my kid and maybe my dog lol...we are moving and probably gonna leave the pc out in the dining area and i dont want the dog esp to chew on the wires...
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Both of our computer desks are up against the wall with the cords behind the desk. We also have our computers separate from areas our baby would be.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You could put a gate around the whole desk/area.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• im glad u asked this i was wondering the same thing
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 7:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I know it's not something you can do right now, but you should try to save a little here and there for a computer cabinet type desk. You'll want the little hands away from the computer for a few years, so it'll be worth it in the long run. We got one from wal mart between 150 and 200 i think, with free site to store shipping. I know it doesn't help NOW, but it's something to think about.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My computer is right infront of the plug in. And my desk has a back with a small hole for the wires. So there is no way for our son to get to the wires. Try getting a cheap piece of plywood(spelt wrong i'm sure) and nailing it to the back of your desk, if it doesn't already have a cover.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010