Question about BF and supply....

When my son was born, I nursed on demand, my milk came in less than 24 hours after I had him. I nursed him for a month. I always has a ton of milk and I know he never emptied a breast because I know I was doing it all wrong and was clueless. LOL The last time I nursed, I had him switching sides every 20 minutes and stopped after 2 hours and tried to get him to sleep. He did for 30 minutes and was right back for another 2 hour 20 minute switch session. I finally gave up and gave him a bottle. He killed it in seconds literally and then took 4 more ounces for a total o8. He was fine and then slept 4 hours. LOL Well, I quit nursing cold turkey(I know, dumb). Anyway, I had enough milk to express like 2-4 oz a breast, but, when I quit. It was almost the next day that I was dry and had no pain or issues. How is that. How do you nurse for a month, have milk, quit at once and have no issues stopping?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds to me like you may have had an oversupply of milk. It can be tricky because when you have too much, and baby can't drain the breast at a feeding, then he never gets to the satisfying fatty hindmilk to get that "full" feeding. It can seem like baby is always hungry and starving when mom actually has too much milk!
    Your body is probably just really responsive to stimulation. I'd bet that a few days after quitting "cold turkey" you could have nursed a lot for 24 hours and had your full supply right back!
    I too fell into the trap of the bad advice to switch breasts after a certain amount of time, and ended up with baby never draining the breast. The rule that should be followed is "finish the first breast first" and "watch the baby, not the clock".
    Finally, moms need to know that most breastfed babies will gulp down a bottle of formula, even when they are well fed. It comes so easily and so differently.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You're lucky. but it doesn't sound to me like you were really oing anything wrong with breastfeeding. At that age its common for them to cluster feed, feed often or feed irratically. You were probably doing fine following your instincts. I think women probably know instinctively more about breastfeeding than we tend to give ourselves credit for. Afterall, if a newborn baby knows how to do it, we should be able to! BTW, I have lots of milk, too, at at 9 months, I don't think my son has ever really emptied me out! GL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yeah, you're lucky I weaned my daughter 4 weeks ago after nursing for 12 months and I am still producing milk! I agree with Adelicious ... it sounds like you were doing a fine job, as a newborn, my baby fed all the time and slept for like 2 hours at a time and when she was awake she wanted to be at my boob!!!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i agree support is the key, well if you plan on bf your next baby, i recommend you join the breastfeeding moms group. also see if you can contact la leche league. sometimes they have weekly meething for moms who are breastfeeding or wnat to breastfeed.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Did you go on birth control? Because combination pills are known supply killers.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You're a lucky gal.....that's my only answer hehe....took me a month to dry up....and it was painful...
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 12:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I stopped nursing one of my daughter's cold turkey at 3 months and I immediately dried up. I stopped nursing my last daughter at 14 months and I still haven't completely dried up.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Oh ok...so, I'm not crazy and weird. Thank goodness...I want to be armed with WAY more knowledge next kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i never had problems stopping either, but for my first two children i didn't produce that much milk, and we breast fed longer. maybe you are a luck mama?
    la leche league is great if you plan on nursing your next child.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Why did you stop breastfeeding?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010