Is your spouse/SO in shape? Or have they gained weight since you've been together?

My DH has gained weight as most people do, but lately it's been going all to his stomach and I think it is sooo unattractive. I've jokingly made comments about it, and I know he knows that it's gotten big. But I think that he's OK with it because he'll joke about it too and say stuff like oh soon I'll be able to sit my plate on my stomach. And he doesn't work out either, he'll watch what he's eating for a little while but that's about it.

In case you're all wondering about me, yes I've gained weight but not in one spot like that so it's still in proportion. And I also work out.

So what do you think? Do I just make myself accept it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband is 60 and in great shape, he has been running everyday since we got married, (38 years) I also keep in shape, go to the gym daily and lift weights, totally hooked!
    You can't make him do what he doesn't want to do but maybe if he understood the long term benefits he would change his mind.

Answer by older at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my dh is skinny, i was just noticing last night. he just started back at the gym a few weeks ago, i think he is trying to look more "cut". i think my dh would have severe eating issues if he were a woman.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We've both gained weight and are slowly starting to work on it. He's far more unhappy about his extra weight than I am, though he occassionally jokes about his belly: "When you have a tool this impressive, you have to build a shed over it". *snickers* Honestly though, he's far more self-conscious about his body than I think he needs to be--I still think he's hot. And I'm way more self-conscious than he thinks I need to be. So, we're working on it together. Healthier foods and we've started walking together and even doing some exercise DVDs together.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My DH has gained a little weight, but not enough to look bad. I'm a lot more concerned about his health than his gut (especially since he's got 12 years on me!). I don't think you just have to accept it.... but if it were me I'd be very careful not to make my DH feel like I thought he was unattractive (just for my DH, that would probably be a bad thing). I would (and do need to) encourage my spouse to get in shape for his own health. Because we have a baby and I want to keep him around for awhile!!! GOOD LUCK!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My husband hasn't really gained weight, he's just gotten out of shape and now has a little bit of a belly. He's pretty lucky cause he mostly eats what he wants and doesn't work out and pretty much stays the same. Though if he did gain weight I would never make a joke about it because if he did that to me, I would flip out on him.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nope my hubby works out all the time,he's got a nice stomach,not really fat in one place,its just all muscle,when we first got together he had a pot belly I Think it was mainly from drinking but now he doesnt drink anymore and works out,frequently so hes all toned up,=]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Though if he did gain weight I would never make a joke about it because if he did that to me, I would flip out on him.

lmao I was thinking the same thing =]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• he gaines weight when am preggo, and laos after he had a motorcyle accident he couldnt workout. but that was a year ago, since he is a marine he hjad to get fit. he lost 40 lbs and works out laot. he is pretty strong
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My Dh is 6"2' and 145lbs... He's not only not gained any since we got together, but lost it... He was 160lbs at his heaviest... Drives me nuts too. The man eats nothing but junk, never exercises and never gains a pound. I on the other hand, try to eat well, work out and can't seem to get under 200lbs! GRR!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• He has gained weight. We met when he was 16 and he was just skinny and had a little kid body lol Now , he's almost 23 and has more of a man shaped body with a little tummy. I actually dont mind it. And as for me..I'm still the same shape lol
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010