Do you donate old toys, or toss 'em?

We're getting ready to move, and going to be cleaning out our girls' play room. They have SO MANY toys they don't even play with, but aren't the gentlest of souls with them. I know we're going to toss broken toys for sure.

Do you donate your kids' old toys, or toss 'em?

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it's broken beyond help I toss it. If it's s little dinged or a desirable toy that can be fixed I donate to good will. The good stuff we yard sale.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I take EVERYTHING (that's in decent shape) to thrift stores. Makes me feel good someone else might be able to enjoy them.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We donate pretty much everything. Broken things obviously go in the trash, unless we can fix them.
    Sometimes we sell stuff online, but rarely, and only if it's a specialty item. Also, we don't just give to thrift stores. Many people don't know that when you give to stores, the staff usually go through the stuff and take what they want out before selling the rest. I used to work at thrift sores, and saw it all the time. Many times we just put stuff in a big box and put it by our apartment mail boxes for neighbours to have. We feel better knowing that the stuff is actually going to people who really need it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i drop off everything thatis in decent shape at goodwill, or amvets.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son has so many things, that I am always going through them to try and make room for new ones. I have given a lot of things to my niece for her son who is 6 months younger than my son. And there have been some things I have sold on CraigsList that were in really good shape still that my niece couldn't use. Clothes and stuff I always give to my niece.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We go through their toys each year before Christmas and toss everything that's broken or missing pieces. Nothing is ever suitable to be donated.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have two boys, the majority of our stuff isn't worthy of donating, but IF it is, I always donate everything or give it to someone who can use it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Toss.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We recently moved. Of the toys that my kids no longer used I threw away about 1/4 of them and took the rest to their daycare to be divided among the women with younger kids working there. I think they took most of it and left a few things at the daycare.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I donate after asking friends to pick out what they want.

Answer by Bmat at 12:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010