How can I help my 4 year old feel more comfortable doing activities without me right by his side?

I signed my 4 1/2 year son up for Vacation Bible school at the church we've been going to since January and when I took him in he started to cry. He didn't want to stay. I left him there Monday. They said he cried a couple times in the 3 hour period. I took him back on Tuesday and he cried again when I dropped him off. They said he did good that day and he said he wanted to go back on Wednesday. Wednesday came and once again, he cried when I dropped him off. They ended up calling me to come pick him up 30 minutes later. I didn't even try to take him on Thursday and he said he wanted to go Fri because they were having animals that day. He cried on Fri. I took him home. He was in 3 year old preschool from Sept. thru May and did great! Only cried a couple times throughout the entire year. He cries sometimes at his sporting events he asks to do. He'll practice, but when he sees it's a game he cries and doesn't want to participate

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to be persistent... Keep bringing him, tell him it's fun and that you always come right back. He should eventually start getting the hang of things.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010