Who cleans your child's room?

My ten year old has to keep his own room clean, and his bathroom clean. He does this to earn his allowance at the end of each week. If they are not clean, he does not get an allowance. I constantly hear, how this is just mean, and none of his friends have to "earn" their allowance. So, what is your take? Does your child keep their own room clean?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that you are doing the right thing. We had an allowance system for our 2 almost 14 year olds that started around 8, after they turned 11 we stopped giving them allowance because we felt like they were old enough to understand that they needed to contribute to the family by picking up after themselves (we are a family of 6). So now they still have their same chores as before but its more a contribution to the household. My 9 year old now kinda lost out on it, we started giving him chores at 7 years old and giving him allowance but when we stopped the older kids we also stopped his. He gets rewarded for good behavior at school instead (we have a little bit of struggles in that area :) )
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Actually, we don't enforce a "clean your room" rule. We make them clean their messes in other parts of the house, but their bedroom is their sacred space, and they have to live in it; clean or dirty. However, we do not allow eating in the rooms, and laundry always goes to the bathroom hampers. And if things do get out of hand, we will go and make them straighten it up so it's livable. We also don't give "allowance" for things they should be doing naturally. If they want money, they need to do extra things, like helping neighbours with their needs.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I do! Then again, he's only 9 months old, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son is only two, but we do it together. We make a game out of it. Sing and dance while we put things away.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My teen,to give her a little bit of privicy,if I feel she is hiding something from me we clean it together.
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it is a great thing. My daughters are 6 and 8 and have to clean their room. They do not get an allowance at all. I don't feel that doing something like cleaning your room or making your bed, things you normally should do, are a reason for allowance. Things that are not their responsibility like dishes, laundry, etc. I would probably give an allowance for, but I don't think mine are old enough yet to do those on their own. I think you are teaching your child responsibility as well so don't get me wrong. Many times kids try the "my friends dont' have to" on their parents. Just tell him you aren't their parents and you don't have to follow their guidelines.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My kids are supposed to do it and they don't get an allowance for it. They are expected to clean up after themselves and that includes more than just cleaning their room (they also do their own laundry, empty the dishwasher, sweep and mop, take out the trash, etc). They don't get paid for any of it. If they don't clean their room and I do it for them then I take away their stuff. Right now they have almost nothing in their rooms. They are 10, 8, 7 and 4 and have been cleaning their own rooms since they were 3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well my 9 yr keeps up with his and does not receive an allowance... we are teaching him responsibility for his belongings that we have been teaching him since age 3... once a month I go into his room and do a ceiling to wall cleaning...that way the floor gets mopped and the walls and curtains are done too... but other wise he does it himself when asked to...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• They are expected to clean their rooms, keep their messes around the house/yard picked up, and clean after meals. They fold laundry, help with dishes, etc. It is part of learning how to take care of your self- if no one teaches you that these things must be done, you're lost when you move out on your own (as so many of my HS friends were when they left home, and even now that they have children, are trying to figure it out).

Allowance is granted for good grades, specific chores that are not generally expected of them, and other special occasions/opportunities. They must earn it, just like the big people do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The maid. But since I don't have one, they do.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 1:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010